7" Bomber Magnum Long A 1.5oz.

Rate this topic

MAGA

My first keeper on the oceanside was on a bomber...fish were blowing up and i threw a bunch of lures. I didn't hook up until i put on a school bus...the visible action was father out but i found out that i didn't need that distance many other lures provide...

Bombers don't cast far but i can cast them just fine -a nice, even/horizontal flight.

There's a situation for every lure.

Bomber 15's are what got me interested in stripers. I came across a box of them for $1.50 each. To me, they seemed like reasonable Largemouth lures, so i bought a few. I looked up bombers after my purchase and found articles about striper fishing. I live close to the Raritan River and next thing you know im fishing further & further downstream looking for stripers or blues until i found myself on Sandy Hook and heading south...

As with some others, id gladly take some 17a's off your hands even if you've taken off the hardware

Action on those might be better than other lures.

Good action, great hardware, and I liked the larger profile. It was just completely frustrating casting this lure with the wind. I feel the internal weighting system could have been better. 

Edited by MAGA

I don't think a Bomber would go 100 yards if you shot it out of a cannon. 

Saying that a Bomber is a lousy lure because it don't cast is like saying that Katarina Witt is unattractive because she ain't a blond. You're missing the whole point. 

Gotta be the first Katarina Witt reference in SOL history.  Nice !

Saying that a Bomber is a lousy lure because it don't cast is like saying that Katarina Witt is unattractive because she ain't a blond.

> Katerina Witt.

I know I know... she was hot "back then"............

.... in 1888.:)

Fwiw, casting a Bomber into the wind with 50lb braid and an 8ft rod won't get you very far. Try 20lb with a 1-4oz 10ft in no breeze or with the wind. There it casts fine for many applications. Reaching the 2nd bar in an onshore blow? --no. not one of them. Yes some guys like the new weight transfer types better. That's fine. They're great. But bombers do indeed work and work well in specific circumstances.

post-62927-0-98664900-1481683759.png

post-62927-0-04164900-1481683810.png

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

This guy certainly likes bombers.

58lb-er caught in RI a few Novembers ago. In an area where a plug didn't need to go very far at all. Bomber was actually a good choice for *the conditions that night and the available forage at that spot, at that time.* Should be noted that time of year (for RI) even catching a 28"er is good stuff and very satisfying.... never mind a 58.

post-62927-0-59766800-1481685675.jpg

Very good question. Don't have a definitive answer. But, if we had a comparative video of both actions I believe it would show that in calm conditions the bomber has a very seductive wobble that is simply different than the SP. Sometimes better, sometimes a wash, sometimes not as good.

Bomber imo, is a bit more of a finesse plug. If fish are inside 40yds, and you can run a plug slowly, bomber might get the nod. Also, I'd like to see a comparative video of both actions in a slow current or outflow. Here, the bomber might be preferred, especially when deadsticked or very slowly retrieved back into the current

In what situations would you use a bomber over a SP minnow? I tend to do very well with SPs but not so much with bombers. I have a few but never seem to get any strikes. Thanks in advance for any responses. 

If I had to choose 1 or the other.

Calm conditions I grab a 16a bomber over the sp 10/10 times.  Shallower water, I'm grabbing the bomber, the sp will dig into sand. (much prefer an unloaded 7" redfin).  If they want the profile and I know fish are just out of reach with the bomber, I may grab the sp for the little extra distance (probably choose a loaded redfin though).  Rough surf  I'll probably fish the sp if I'm having a problem staying in contact with the bomber.  You just can't crawl an sp like you can a bomber.

If its distance u want, try a bomber long shot or a loaded redfin swimmer. In my experience, most of the hits i get on swimmers are withon 50 ft of shore, although there are a few outliers.

-bd

Thank you! I am thinking of trying that. I understand the redfin is a great surface swimmer with deadly action. I still use the 16A Bomber and have it in 3 colors, it was just the 17A model which frustrated me. My argument is with the larger profile and weight near the head, they just don't cast well at all.