Lamiglas "Skinner Rod"

Rate this topic

PhilCVG

Wonder if its built on the GSB 120 1L. Maybe John can shed some light on this?

"Constructed of a 10' GSB1201L blank with 10" cut off the back end, Lamiglas has outfitted the rod with Fuji Alconite guides which are made for braid and will produce longer casts, a Fuji graphite reel seat and top quality corktape fore and rear grips" (From web description referenced in post 4 above)

I'll be curious to see the guide layout but I'm not hopeful.

If they release it as a blank that would be helpful for guys who are convinced this is the right rod for them since it would eliminate warranty issues brought on by cutting (although I struggle to imagine how a 1201L blank would fail).

I think they might have done better by issuing a whole new 9' GSB blank.  Something in between the 108L and 108m that used the taper of the top 1/2 of the 1201L and the bottom 1/2 of the 108M (maybe a tad less stiff).    I do feel the design of the upper 1/2 of the 1201L works a plug exceptionally well but if they're going to take a foot off the butt they ought to have added a bit more beef in the lower 1/2 since the butt section of the 1201L is already on the soft side and shortening it will only amplify this.

Although I don't blame him (as he has certainly earned his fame by being helpful to beginning fishermen), I think Skinner may have erred selling his name to this product.   It makes him a Lami spokesperson and hurts his objectivity.  Until now Skinner's advice always seemed to have the education of fellow anglers at its center.  If next year he discovers another brand rod he likes better will he broadcast that to help other fishermen?  I'd guess probably not.    

Edited by numbskull

Just thinking the same thing. Sounds like this is the 120l with 10" off the butt, never really liked that. I have a couple of their 9' rods gsb108l, glb108m, glb108mh, as numbskull stated i believe there is a much better 9' rod to be had if you create a blank btwn the light and medium (med/heavy) blanks they currently have. The amount of bend/curve in this new rod can certainly lend itself to a poor guide layout if not done properly

Edited by SurffisherMike