Southcoastphil

Lost plugs

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

I was fishing Brick over the weekend and lost two plugs, both of which might still be connected to fish.

First was a Bigfish spook, I think it's called a Blitz Seeker, in bunker pattern.

Second is an old Gibbs pencil, white (ok, yellowed) body with red head. The twin to the one in the pic I'm attaching, although the pic shows a canal style (flat bottom) amd the one I lost was round.

As always, TIA for any help you can provide. I'm happy to pay for shipping and/or send a plug to you.

post-54407-0-97800200-1481144475.jpeg

Phil, lotta plugs get lost every day...it's incredibly rare to ever get them back :)

Honestly, I don't think I've ever tried :o

TimS

Posted (edited)

Hi Tim,

I didn't think that I'd find a BMW repair resource on SOL either!

So its worth a shot.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Posted (edited)

Wait,

Wait,

Wait

and

Here it goes:

You guys loose a lot in NJ,  :p

Edited by Popasilov

Losing plugs is part of the game, getting them back is a pipe dream, getting them back when they are attached to a fish is probably impossible and asking folks that find them to return the plug is a stretch. If a plug has sentimental value or is something that can't be replaced, consider not fishing it, otherwise, it becomes part of the scene.

Posted (edited)

Losing plugs is part of the game, getting them back is a pipe dream, getting them back when they are attached to a fish is probably impossible and asking folks that find them to return the plug is a stretch. If a plug has sentimental value or is something that can't be replaced, consider not fishing it, otherwise, it becomes part of the scene.

I lost two plugs in the same day and got them both back. The first snapped off on a cast i found it on the beach about three hours later. This was my favorite bone super strike so i was heart broken when i lost it and super excited when i found it.  The second I unhooked a fish  and some how the braid got cut. I was on the bar. Found this plug 45 minutes later.  I also found a rod in the ocean that no one claimed. 

Edited by crazybellringer

Good luck Phil. I know you 're probably running low on plugs ;)

I lost a popper once on the outgoing tide at an inlet and found it 1/2 mile west on the incoming hours later.

Same popper larger size I broke off in the surf. Finally was going to get pushed in by a wave and a gull picked it up.

He landed down the beach so I ran after him. Unfortunately other gulls saw him too and chased him out to sea still carrying my plug  :laugh:

Good luck Phil. I know you 're probably running low on plugs ;)

I lost a popper once on the outgoing tide at an inlet and found it 1/2 mile west on the incoming hours later.

Same popper larger size I broke off in the surf. Finally was going to get pushed in by a wave and a gull picked it up.

He landed down the beach so I ran after him. Unfortunately other gulls saw him too and chased him out to sea still carrying my plug :laugh:

You loose less stuff than me ;)

i lost the spook while setting the hook on a strike.  Foolishly, I'd forgotten to check the clip after releasing the prior fish.  I watched that plug get hit at least twice as it was sitting in the water.

Clipped on that big old Gibbs, and after three casts, I was able to retrieve the spook!   Interestingly, my braid had slid into the tiniest of open area on my siwash bucktail. 

Went back to the spook, broke the line on the hookset on the first cast (it was brand new line that I'd put on just before leaving for NJ).  GRRRRRR!

So now it's back to the Gibbs.  First cast, get a hit, attempt to set hook, break line.  DOUBLE GRRRRR!!!!

By that point it was getting dark, so I decided to walk back to the BB1 parking lot.  Looked at the guides on the TFO rod and two of them were broken.  No frikkin wonder i kept breaking off.

Called TFO when I returned and sent them the sawed off broken guides and the ID markings.  If their customer service guy was correct, I'll be getting a new 10' 6" TFO rod soon.

Fingers crossed.