digirambo

Lamiglas TFX7040CT vs. Kevin Bogan Fish Poison FC70MH?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am interested in getting a rod that's rated 4 - 10 oz load for fishing on headboats. I currently own Lami TFX7030CT and thought that I could use a heavier rated rod under certain water conditions. I've used the TFX7030CT up to 8 oz. It handled it okay, considering that the rod is fairly stiff. I would like to go on wreck fishing with the wife and let her use the TFX7030CT while I use the heavier rated rod.

I didn't even know about Kevin Bogan Fish Poison rods until I was on the BTS forum. I read up on what I could and it seems like general consensus is that Fish Poison is a very good rod for wreck fishing (Togs).

Kevin Bogan Fish Poison FC70MH (4 - 10 oz) with cork handle = $230 shipped

Lamiglas TFX7040CT (4 - 10 oz) = $247 shipped from Tackledirect

I do not own any Fiberglass "E-GLASS" rods, so I don't know if I will like the softer action. I tend to prefer faster action... Any inputs would be appreciated. I have done enough googling and still can't decide.

Lamiglas TFX7040CT vs. Kevin Bogan Fish Poison FC70MH

Graphite vs Fiberglass (No preference)

More vs Less sensitivity (I prefer more sensitivity)

Faster vs Slower comeback rate (I prefer faster)

Off the shelf vs Custom (No preference)

Lighter vs Heavier rod weight (I prefer lighter, but if it's only a few oz's, no big deal)

+$17 for Lamiglas, but not much different so doesn't matter

Yea, based on the comparisons, I am leaning more towards the TFX7040CT, but maybe there's a big factor that I didn't account for.

Edited by digirambo

I'm under the impression (second hand knowledge) that it has a softer tip, but plenty of back bone. It's a popular combination with a lot of tog guys it seems.

Like you I normally prefer a faster tip for flunking and other bottom fishing.... but I actually prefer the softer tip with lots of backbone for party boat tog fishing with heavy sinkers. You may want to give it a shot if you can swing it (pun intended).

Thank you for the inputs! I was comparing apples to oranges (graphite/fiberglass) and now I'm throwing another one in the mix and now I am pretty sure on the Jigging World Black Demon 7'5" MH. It's rated for 3 - 12 oz and costs $250. As much as I want to stick to what I know (Lami Tri-Flex), I won't know what I am missing out on unless I try it out.

Edited by digirambo

Do you really think you are going to catch more fish? If you like to collect them, buy them because after this one there will be another one and another until you fill out your basement like mine. If you are out for fishing, your TFX7030CT is good enough for 10oz.  I use mine for 12oz as well.

Do you really think you are going to catch more fish? If you like to collect them, buy them because after this one there will be another one and another until you fill out your basement like mine. If you are out for fishing, your TFX7030CT is good enough for 10oz.  I use mine for 12oz as well.

Well, it's really not about catching more fish. I am in the market for another bottom fishing rod since I plan on going on trips with the wife. I wanted to look at options, because I've been burned before for not looking at options in the past. Trust me, I already have a basement full of fishing gear because I didn't do my due diligence when buying gear. Some are brand new. Unfortunately, I don't have bottom fishing rods for fishing on headboats and that's why I am buying another.

Good to know that you had success with 10-12 oz sinkers with 7030CT. I stopped at 8oz because the rod didn't seem to respond as well.

I have that 7040.  It is kind of a broomstick and not much fun to fish.  I would point you towards the 7650 (which I also have)... yeah, it seem counter intuitive, but trust me.  The 7650 goes on every trip... the 7040 hasn't seen the light of day in years - I'd sell it but for the shipping hassles.

I have that 7040.  It is kind of a broomstick and not much fun to fish.  I would point you towards the 7650 (which I also have)... yeah, it seem counter intuitive, but trust me.  The 7650 goes on every trip... the 7040 hasn't seen the light of day in years - I'd sell it but for the shipping hassles.

Thank you. I would not have known that. Do you also own a 7030? Wondering how 7030 compares to 7650 with 8-10 oz sinkers. I guess I am wondering if the difference in feel is minimal or if it's light and day.

Thank you. I would not have known that. Do you also own a 7030? Wondering how 7030 compares to 7650 with 8-10 oz sinkers. I guess I am wondering if the difference in feel is minimal or if it's light and day.

I do have the 7030.  The difference in feel between the 7030 and 7650 is less than the difference between the 7030 and 7040.  The 7650 feels more like a medium action where the 7030 and 7040 feel more like a fast action.  You will have no problem using 10-12 oz sinkers with the 7650... 16 oz would be pushing it.  

I fished the 7030 since the rod hit the market.  I bought the 7650 later.  Now, I prefer the 7650 for togging and only use the 7030 if the bite is very light.  I have also used the 7650 for what little cod jigging I have done... great with 12 oz jigs.

All this stuff is pretty subjective, but you should see if you can find a place that stocks both rods so you can see how they feel to you.

Edited by Slacker

I would say if you already have 7030 and you need to buy another rod for your wife, get the 7650. Slacker knows his stuff..

Lol, yup. I believe I got the 7030 based on his posts on older threads... I wish I knew that 7650 had become his new favorite before I bought the 7030.

I have a jigging world black demon rated up to 12 oz 7'6 love it had it paired with a fathom 12 star drag with 50 braid caught tons of fish no real big ones up to 7 lbs handled great light and powerful. I also fish with an e glass lami forget the number paired with a g220 newell with #50 braid. I find myself going back to the eglass and newell more often then the newer demon. Had fish over #10 on the lami and love it . Also the lami is easier on the back at the end of a long day. The parabolic bend is nice compared to the fast action of the composite one.

Lol, yup. I believe I got the 7030 based on his posts on older threads... I wish I knew that 7650 had become his new favorite before I bought the 7030.

Ask him for a refund.. Edited by levari

I have a jigging world black demon rated up to 12 oz 7'6 love it had it paired with a fathom 12 star drag with 50 braid caught tons of fish no real big ones up to 7 lbs handled great light and powerful. I also fish with an e glass lami forget the number paired with a g220 newell with #50 braid. I find myself going back to the eglass and newell more often then the newer demon. Had fish over #10 on the lami and love it . Also the lami is easier on the back at the end of a long day. The parabolic bend is nice compared to the fast action of the composite one.

Thank you for the input. I was looking at their website but e glass didn't jump out at me under "Saltwater" section. All rods listed under Saltwater seems like graphite... Do you know the name of the model so I can look it up? Thank you.