bennie

Retirement is boring

Rate this topic

417 posts in this topic

I'm 29 and live in NYC, don't think I'll ever be able to retire...I'll be like Darth Vader, mask and all working in my 80's....  I'm not in any rush by the way!

Enjoy it!!!

Haven't been bored and been retired for 5 yrs now.  We visit some museum each week, can be art, woodworking, cars or any other interesting location.  We travel 2 weeks each year somewhere and live in two places-one winter near grandkids and at shore for summers.  Hobbies are important.  British car for me, reading for wife.   Fish at least one day a week in summer-offshore tuna/billfish.  

post-30979-0-76057400-1481138837.jpg

I retired in 2000. While I was building plugs and interacting with other builders and fishermen is was great. Then my hearing really started to get bad. We sold our place and moved into a Country Club Community. No more room in the garage for plug building machinery etc.. I just isolated myself so I did not need to hear. Then I went totally deaf. Two years ago I had cochlear Implant surgery and it restored my hearing to normal in that ear. Now I am playing golf and doing the things a retired guy should be doing. I am still learning what retirement is all about.

Good story Charleston,glad it worked out.

CaptRandy - Sounds like a full life to me.

To the person on this thread who said something like - "go back to work and let someone else collect the Social Security":

I wasn't going to "bite" on that one but I guess I will because it is actually an important issue for people to understand.

Not all of us who are retired are on Social Security. 

Some of us are using our own funds in retirement (savings, personal investments) and would only apply for social security much much later on in life -- for example at or beyond so called "full retirement" age.

I for one will wait until age 70 or beyond - i.e. 3+ years beyond my full retirement age.  I have extreme longevity in my family history (knock wood).  If I don't need the funds or if I win the lottery I will delay even further, or not apply. 

But here's the rub:

If and when I decide to take Social Security, it is my RIGHT to do so.  The way this works is that you pay into SS when you are working.  You are essentially funding (or partly funding) your own lifestyle or future needs in retirement.  Nobody has the right to say whether anyone else should or should not take Social Security.

But you are right - SS is a safety net for a lot of people.  Sometimes is is the only safety net.  It shouldn't be.  Folks need to diversify, especially if they expect to live a long, long time.

Hopefully it will be there if I ever really need it.   But I paid into it, and it's my choice. 

End of rant.

Edited by Killiefish

Haven't been bored and been retired for 5 yrs now. We visit some museum each week, can be art, woodworking, cars or any other interesting location. We travel 2 weeks each year somewhere and live in two places-one winter near grandkids and at shore for summers. Hobbies are important. British car for me, reading for wife. Fish at least one day a week in summer-offshore tuna/billfish.

Is that Healy 3000 in silver cloud yours? If so what year? I had a 63 in 1970, had the typical rocker rot and rot behind the jump where the top met the body. I think it was positive ground. It also had three Webers instead of the SU's. Wish I had it now. My buddy had a bug eye Sprite but it was older. That British car will certainly keep you busy in retirement. Sounds great! Edited by Shag

Retired from the FDNY at 52. Been retired for 10 yrs. 

It wasn't all it was cracked up to be until I moved where I can be on my boat in 5 minutes or surf fishing in 5 minutes.

Still can't figure out how I got everything done when I was working, cause I don't seem to get as much done now.

Maybe the fishing has something to do with it.  :D

Retired from the FDNY at 52. Been retired for 10 yrs. 

It wasn't all it was cracked up to be until I moved where I can be on my boat in 5 minutes or surf fishing in 5 minutes.

Still can't figure out how I got everything done when I was working, cause I don't seem to get as much done now.

Maybe the fishing has something to do with it.  :D

How come you didn't go to 55 and get you 80%

How come you didn't go to 55 and get you 80%

Put out on lung disability from 9/11. 

Our pension maxes out at 25 yrs. Doesn't go by age.

Sorry Maxes out at 30 yrs. Most bang for the buck is 25 yrs.

Edited by fdhog

I retired in 2000. While I was building plugs and interacting with other builders and fishermen is was great. Then my hearing really started to get bad. We sold our place and moved into a Country Club Community. No more room in the garage for plug building machinery etc.. I just isolated myself so I did not need to hear. Then I went totally deaf. Two years ago I had cochlear Implant surgery and it restored my hearing to normal in that ear. Now I am playing golf and doing the things a retired guy should be doing. I am still learning what retirement is all about.

I used to work as a driver and drove many of the trial patients (years ago for cochlear implants) to and from appointments it was amazing at how much it improved their life. Most of the time it would go from not being able to communicate to having full on conversations within a few months......... Amazing! Glad you're doing well!

Edited by Space

I had 3 kids and sent all to parochial school and college. I was paycheck to paycheck my whole life. I felt like I was paying for college for 30 years.

A CEO once told me that, "my primary responsibility is to the share holders and if selling the company is best for them, you are all big boys and big girls and expected to land on your feet". No one ever had to tell me that again. I tried several things to prepare outside of a paycheck, since paychecks can not be counted on, because your future is in someone else's hand. Someone that does not know you or care. I saw how business leaders are cold and calculating narcissists, only caring about themselves, bonuses and stock options. People were numbers that were added up to calculate bonuses and stock option for the few at the top. It is criminal in my opinion.

I went through downsizing, out sourcing and off shoring. We have to make our own retirement. The secret in my opinion is to eliminate debt before you are ready to retire, participate in a 401k, either through your company or a separate one on your own and if possible try to generate some kind of residual revenue outside of your primary career of job.

Lastly the simple pleasures in life you have to appreciate, and they have to be the things that make you happy. If you think money and things will make you happy you are wrong. The more you get the more you want and need, because you will find they don't make you happy.

Good luck everybody, I have been there and done that. You will find, you all will do it. The problems along the way are usually the best thing that could happen. They just don't seem that way when they first occur.

Wow. There's some wisdom.