bennie

Retirement is boring

Rate this topic

422 posts in this topic

Lots of interesting and valid perspectives on this thread.  I retired 3 years ago and do sometimes think I should have stayed in the working world a bit longer.  Not for the money really but for the social interactions.  For those of you who think you will be "working for the rest of your life" I sympathize.  Maybe try to sock away more and consume less.  Make a monthly budget and stick to it.  Focus on doing work that you like with people that you can stand.

When you retire early, some of the folks you called friends and hung out with stop thinking about you and won't call you.  It's natural.  Out of sight, out of mind.  And part of it could be jealousy - they don't want to hear about your trips to far away places, or your mid-week fishing adventures.

You can always make new friends but the loss of some of the old ones can be a bit demoralizing at first.  It isn't as easy to make the transition to "full retirement" as some think it is.  Also, money issues don't go away.  You need to continue to manage it.

If you have enough interests and have been cultivating them for awhile you should be fine.  If not, volunteer or do part time work.  Take lessons or classes.  Join a local stream, river or coastal conservation organization.  Read all the  books you have always wanted to read.  Learn some new tricks or you will go crazy.  Just my two cents.

I cant wait to retire but i have a looooooong way to go.  I am a hard worker and dont mind doing all that needs to do to support my family but i have way better and more interesting things to do then live the daily "grind"!

I retired in 2000. While I was building plugs and interacting with other builders and fishermen is was great. Then my hearing really started to get bad. We sold our place and moved into a Country Club Community. No more room in the garage for plug building machinery etc.. I just isolated myself so I did not need to hear. Then I went totally deaf. Two years ago I had cochlear Implant surgery and it restored my hearing to normal in that ear. Now I am playing golf and doing the things a retired guy should be doing. I am still learning what retirement is all about.

I retired in 2000. While I was building plugs and interacting with other builders and fishermen is was great. Then my hearing really started to get bad. We sold our place and moved into a Country Club Community. No more room in the garage for plug building machinery etc.. I just isolated myself so I did not need to hear. Then I went totally deaf. Two years ago I had cochlear Implant surgery and it restored my hearing to normal in that ear. Now I am playing golf and doing the things a retired guy should be doing. I am still learning what retirement is all about.

Glad you can hear again. How you do'en fishen?

Got 2 years more to go and can't wait.  I've been working for 40 years and I'm done with it I want some time to enjoy life. I plan to fish, do some kayak guiding and volunteer work.  

Edited by YakDawg

Embrace your retirement as a new chapter in life (really third chapter) and challenge! I'm freshly retired after 30 years, I have hobbies,friends,belong to a local volunteer FD (45 years),have a new paper shredder (my dog Wally) and a house to work on when I want to. These are just some of the things to keep me active. Also the fact that I can tell certain people to F...k Off now with out repercussions is a great part about it too :)  Enjoy it while you can!! Bubs

There's an old saying that you either "live to work", or "work to live".

I like to think that I work to live, so that when I have free time work is the furthest thing from my mind.

One thing I like to stress to my nieces and nephews is to start saving something for your later years.

Not saying retirement, although that would be good, but for a "rainy day".

I've been spending less on trivial things and saving for when I need it and when I'm no longer working.

My goal is to not live "high on the hog" but comfortably so I can enjoy my free time.

I don't have plans to retire early as I enjoy my job, and the longer I work the more I can squirrel away before I start collecting whatever is left of Social Security.

My mother refers to me as the "wealthy" one because I don't have bills hanging over my head from overspending on junk I didn't need.

Worked for the same company for 40 years. I count my blessings every time a fish bites. Felt like drinking a beer yesterday at 10 AM and do so. What's not to like?

I like being retired, but don't be in a hurry. I wish I was 35 or 40 and still working. I could more, much better. I didn't have any aches or pains. My hearing and eye sight was better. Getting old sucks. I go back to work any day. But what can you do? Thats life.

I can't get up on the flying bridge like I did and not so quick on my feet in the boat. The bottom line is the Golden Years are not so Golden.

I retired 6 years ago, but I still do home improvement jobs when I choose. I live well within my means and I often question why I still work occasionally. I like to keep busy to stay in shape and to stay sharp. I fish as often as I want and travel at will. My friends say that I'll never change.