bennie

Retirement is boring

Rate this topic

435 posts in this topic

Hunting and fishing. You nailed it. I worked passed 66 and then shut it down over 4 years ago. Went out fishing today for 3 hours on a buddy’s boat instead of my own for a change. Life is truly wonderful.

Ok I have been in early retirement for 3mouths now,,,:( some of my best friends are sick,,,you know handie and he is doing better God thanks,,,,let's stay in touch so we can pray for our friends,,,,,,:)

Edited by bennie

I’ve seen a number of friends struggle in retirement, primarily because they didn’t plan well.  Not just financial,  being mentally prepared is critical.

Have hobbies and fun stuff to do.  Volunteer, fish and hunt more or whatever you enjoy doing now, do it more when you retire.  Be open to a part time job or start another career.  So many choices other than just sit home.  Stay physically fit, exercise everyday and eat well.

As we get older, we loose friends and loved ones.  Honor them, and keep moving down life’s road.  I’m 63, lost my 1st wife to cancer 16 years ago.

I have have 2 retirements and am working on number 3.  I love to work.  For me, it helps keep me grounded, though I am better with work - life balance now than in the past.  I’ve seen people retire too early and just not know what to do with themselves.  And some people work too long.  Hard part is knowing when it’s time to leave.

I’m married to a wonderful woman who shares my love of the outdoors.  I will likely work another 5 or 6 years but who knows what life has in store.

I think Steve McQueen said it best.  “Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway.”

Edited by LSP552

I'm in 6 mouths of early retirement this year because you never no when it's your time ,,,,but they say if you drive fast enough death can't catch you ,,,,but just applied to the veterinarian hospital so maybe there's hope yet for a pension,,,,,,:)

Being retired is not boring, being unemployment  is scary. I was there both of them, now I a part time work and part time retire.

10 years retired this coming March and I can honestly say it's highly UNDERRATED!!  Sure beats working...

That being said, I do see colleagues who had no hobbies other than work wither and die when retiring.  My life-long obsession with a certain striped nemesis and his other finned companions kept me otherwise occupied.

Sitting here drinking coffee watching the snow come down and couldn't give a flying you know what at a rolling doughnut.  I've got nothing important to do today so I can just chill.  When it's over, I'll break out the snowshoes and take a tramp through the woods, feeling sorry for all you working stiffs...

I’m two weeks in and in the process of securing my winter hq down here in FL.  I’m not worried that I will be bored, but I’ll check back in a few months to let you know the reality...

5 years plus into retirement. Very thankful to be able to still enjoy all of it. Never give up and live for every minute. Beautiful calm morning here in Chelem Mexico. Might just take the gear out and go fishing.