Retirement is boring

Rate this topic

bennie

Remember Jack Nicholson in "About Schmidt"? Retirement isn't always a panacea. Like many other retirees, however, I don't have enough hours in the day. I always have stuff to do: fish, walk the dog, go to the gym, ride my bike, attend club meetings, fish, ski, read, play cards, hike, snowshoe, yard work, fish, socialize, and the list goes on.

Edited by dickd

I worked steady for 50 years. I never thought I could retire. When I did I couldn't believe how much work consumed my mind and life for all that time. Now my mind is concentrated 100% on life and living. Enjoying friends, family, fishing, boating, archery, hunting, golf, camping. I have no idea what day it is and I don't care. Work hasn't entered my mind since the day I retired. It used to consume 99% of my mind all the time. My best days are ahead of me. Yours are too once you are emotionally and financially ready to retire. FREEDOM!

Good luck

Gil  

I worked steady for 50 years. I never thought I could retire. When I did I couldn't believe how much work consumed my mind and life for all that time. Now my mind is concentrated 100% on life and living. Enjoying friends, family, fishing, boating, archery, hunting, golf, camping. I have no idea what day it is and I don't care. Work hasn't entered my mind since the day I retired. It used to consume 99% of my mind all the time. My best days are ahead of me. Yours are too once you are emotionally and financially ready to retire. FREEDOM!

Good luck

Gil

Yes sir, we saved for this and just pray for good health. Congratulations Gil.

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

I retired last June. It still hasn't set in, but one thing that has helped me is to make a list when I'm having my morning coffee. Having that list gives you a sense of accomplishment by the end of the day. The wife will continually add to the list and it keeps you off he Internet. But I know what you are talking about. Everyone tells me it takes about a year. Congratulations by the way.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

You should consider yourself lucky. A LOT of us younger folks are working in jobs with zero pension..and a couple grand a year contributed to a 401K... essentially it's 98% on us to fund our retirement. And your car breaks, or boiler goes, etc...your money doesn't go far enough to keep throwing chunks into 401k. I'm going into be working until I die.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg