E. Guido Soda

River / Creek Striper Fishing

5 posts in this topic

Hello:

I am primarily a (black) bass kayak/canoe fisherman, but have on occasion pulled in a striper / hybrid...and it's always a blast. I was out fishing Friday and was having zero luck with the spots / heads, but I kept seeing & hearing really large boils. At first I thought they were carp due to the size of the boil. But the ferocity was definitely more aggressive than the lazy carp. So I tied on a foxy shad Zara Super Spook, only it was the metallic / reflective bottom version, and threw it out there. As I started walking the dog, it was almost immediately annihilated, and I knew I had hooked into a striper. Two minutes later I was reaching down with the fish grips to bring up a 30+ inch stud (a stud for around here, anyway), and my line broke. Was using 10 lb. PLine CXX mono, which is normally highly reliable for me in swimbait/cranking/spinner/topwater scenarios. My suspicion is that one of the trebles cut it, as the lead treble was actually in the fish's eye, and line was twisted in the second treble. At any rate, it was total heartbreak.

So while I have caught a bunch stripers, I have never specifically gone after them...which I would like to try my hand at now. The hunt and the fight are just awesome. I would love to discuss freshwater tactics. I know I am limited in range by the nature of the kayak and I know they are said to feed most aggressively from just after dusk to just before dawn, but this guy hit that topwater plug at noon on a cloudless day. And I see folks live bait fishing for them, and catching them, at similar times. Which brings up another point - I don't really care to fish with live bait from the kayak - artificial only.

Any pointers, tips, secrets, whatever, for lure fishing for stripes in freshwater would be welcomed!

Thanks!
Coosa River, AL

Were you fishing the river or a reservoir?

Having a kayak does not limit you for striper fishing. You can do a lot with it.

Stripers are very temperature sensitive and should not be fished for if surface temperatures are over 80 degrees. You will kill a lot of fish inintentionally if you do.

What you encountered was a normal late fall pattern. In late fall, stripers will start feeding on the surface in large, loose schools as they ambush shad moving into and out of coves.

10 pound test is a little light. If you are targeting stripers, move up to 15. Stripers don't get real excited by crankbaits, but do like the longer, slimmer minnow style baits. You don't need a lot of lures, just one or two each in a couple in sizes from 3 1/2 to 7". The colder the water, the smaller the baits they will key on. Stripers abuse hooks and it is a good idea to replace stock hooks on most lures.

Were you fishing the river or a reservoir?

Having a kayak does not limit you for striper fishing. You can do a lot with it.

Stripers are very temperature sensitive and should not be fished for if surface temperatures are over 80 degrees. You will kill a lot of fish inintentionally if you do.

What you encountered was a normal late fall pattern. In late fall, stripers will start feeding on the surface in large, loose schools as they ambush shad moving into and out of coves.

10 pound test is a little light. If you are targeting stripers, move up to 15. Stripers don't get real excited by crankbaits, but do like the longer, slimmer minnow style baits. You don't need a lot of lures, just one or two each in a couple in sizes from 3 1/2 to 7". The colder the water, the smaller the baits they will key on. Stripers abuse hooks and it is a good idea to replace stock hooks on most lures.

I was fishing a creek off of a lake (which is a reservoir/impoundment) on the Coosa River in Alabama.  The striper come up the creek to spawn, but it is also deep enough w/ enough current for them to come up during warmer months; it is absolutely _loaded_ with shad.  Thanks for the tips on tackle; here's what I've thrown into a "striper kit" box for now.  Some is stuff I already had, some I purchased specifically for striper fishing:

- several Zara Super Spooks

- 7" Redfin

- Whopper Plopper 130

- Storm Chug Bug, 4 3/8", white/red

- 7" Bull Shad (do stripes like these??)

- Rapala Xtreme Slash jerkbait type plug - large, 1oz

- 3/4oz bucktail hair jigs, white/purple/chartreuse

- black 1/2oz Boo Yah buzzbait for night / dusk

- some 1oz Rooster Tails for jigging, modified

- Picasso umbrella rig - I've caught plenty of them on this

- 3/4oz & 1oz jigging spoons

Anything else you can specifically recommend would be great!

As far as the line test, that CXX 8 - 10 is generally bombproof.  Plus I only have one reel that can comfortably accommodate 120+ yards of 15 - 20 mono, a Curado 300E, the rest are low profile reels perfect for up to 12 lb.  Caught plenty of six - seven lb. stripers, some five - six lb. bass, the occasional drum, and this 28 lb. flathead on a 1/4 oz. Spot Remover Shaky Head w/ a Zoom junebug Trick Worm & _8_ lb. CXX:

post-73714-0-22867000-1480778774.jpg

post-73714-0-49624800-1480778783.jpg

Soda,

I just got a kayak to fish and hunt out of this year. It should open up some new places and I dont have to haul the boat and have the worries of the moror, trailer etc. Pretty excited about it.