gnuisance

Will a 16' Aluminum boat get on plane with a 9.9 ?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a small boat with a tiller outboard. Thinking 16' Grumman, Lund, Smoker etc type boat. Something I can fish the bay with on the right day and also fresh water. Jersey lakes have a 9.9 restriction, I'm wondering if a 16' aluminum will get on plane with a 9.9 or will it be severely under powered? Probably mostly fishing just with me (200 lbs) limited gear, possibly my young daughter. In a perfect world I'd have a 16 footer with like a 40 horse that I could really fly around with, just not able to invest in two seperate outboards at this point. 

Will the boat have bench seats and minimal weight?  If so, yes it will.  If it will have live wells, storage, wooden floor, etc, I'd say you'd be pushing it.  I'd get a 15hp and some 9.9 decals when using it in fresh water. 

I ran a Lowe 1467 with a 15 hp Yamaha 4stroke for s few years. That boat was hard to get on plane alone and wouldn't do it with me and another person unless that person was real skinny. A 16 foot boat with a 9.9 is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I have a 9.8 on a 14ft tracker welded modified V I get 10 mph on the gps. Lake has 10 hp limit.

That's helpful. Sounds like I'm going to get a bigger outboard and use a trolling motor or kicker for freshwater

Trouble with the trolling motor is when it's windy it's a nightmare. A lake by me is electric only, I have a bow mount and a transom mount and use them together. Otherwise the wind will spin you right around especially with the high profile on a larger boat.

Take it from someone that has a underpowered 16' boat and is upgrading to a bigger boat/motor.i have a 16'starcraft with a 25hp yami 4 stroke.with just me in the boat i do 20mph,1 other person i do 16mph.as with you some of our lakes here in ct have 25hp restriction.i would max out the hp rating and get ureself a good trolling motor with a good set of batterys.

I have a 14 Mirrorcraft tin boat for 30 years now. Started with a 9.9. Blew that up eventually. 2002 I bought and now have a 15 and tons of hours and will be going with a 25 this summer. Have to go 2 stroke cause of weight of 4 strokes. The reason for the bigger motor in my opinion I won't have to beat it at wide open to get places. Nothing worse than under power. 25 would be my choice at the very minimum for a 16 footer.

I don't know why y'all numbera are so low.when i sold my 14ft Carolina skiff with four stroke long shaft with mini jack plate last year with one person me being 230 lbs,gear,gas,two anchors and two bench seats I had no issues getting on plane and top speed was around 18-20 mph. Forget about it if two adults were on board but I built this setup for just me and to go cheap. I would think being an v hull and aluminum y'all would have better numbers and should plane with ease. My hull was at least 200 plus lbs more then any of y'all.

WIth the  4 16 - 17'   9.9 power tin cans i've owned.   Tracker v hulls and pro team mod v's.......7.6mph SOG was all i could muster with a 9.9 2 stroke.

Not quite sure i'd want that in tidal situations where the bay could turn into a washing machine real quick

I have a 14 Mirrorcraft tin boat for 30 years now. Started with a 9.9. Blew that up eventually. 2002 I bought and now have a 15 and tons of hours and will be going with a 25 this summer. Have to go 2 stroke cause of weight of 4 strokes. The reason for the bigger motor in my opinion I won't have to beat it at wide open to get places. Nothing worse than under power. 25 would be my choice at the very minimum for a 16 footer.

Forgive me, I'm a noob. I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying. It's hard on the motor to run wide open all the time and you have to do that with the smaller 9.9 to cover any ground?