Accebere

What's your favorite frog?

15 posts in this topic

Frog fishing is my absolute favorite way of catching LMB. I've tried almost every color and pattern and maker. Now I only use one brand the Snag Proof Ish's Phat Frog in white and black. This frog is f**ching indestructible in its design and down right catches fish. White on sunny bright days black on overcast days and some days it doesn't matter what's happening or what color you have on the fish are just blowing up on it . I use the San Diego jam as the knot to tie the frog to the 40# braid. What do you all use in color and maker?

Edited by Accebere

I have not settled on one brand yet, but agree with you 100% about color! If I am bass fishing during the day it is one of my favorite ways to fish for them. Have you tried a scum frog at night over the pads? That will get your heart going! I use a Double Palamar for my knot...

I have not settled on one brand yet, but agree with you 100% about color! If I am bass fishing during the day it is one of my favorite ways to fish for them. Have you tried a scum frog at night over the pads? That will get your heart going! I use a Double Palamar for my knot...

No, I have never tried a scum frog at night yet or known anybody who's tried it. Sure does sound like a blast though. What kind of scum frog do you use?

I like to use the scum frog popper over dense cover. The key to this frog is going SLOW, give it a pop and let it sit for 8 seconds with some light twitches in between. Hang on tight, it attracts large bass.

southern-lure-scum-frog-popper-black.jpg

Here is one I got at night;

IMG_2005.jpg

I use a bunch of different brands and do well with most... They need to cast well, hold up to pickerel and I don't like any of the ones that have a cupped face, I like them to slide over and throw the lilly pads and not get caught in them.  I like Jitterbugs and swimmers in the open water at night...

IMG_0962.jpg

When you I used to fish them a lot I like the yum frogs in cover that wasn't so thick. Being able to let sink and slow roll like a swim bait with two kicking tails would drive fish nuts and they had to kill it.

Frog fishing is my absolute favorite way of catching LMB. I've tried almost every color and pattern and maker. Now I only use one brand the Snag Proof Ish's Phat Frog in white and black. This frog is f**ching indestructible in its design and down right catches fish. White on sunny bright days black on overcast days and some days it doesn't matter what's happening or what color you have on the fish are just blowing up on it . I use the San Diego jam as the knot to tie the frog to the 40# braid. What do you all use in color and maker?

Best results I've had with a frog is the 3/4 oz Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog in croaker and green tea.  IMO, it's the legs that make it so effective; they look great and the action is quite realistic in the water as opposed to the little rubber strands used by most frogs...casts a mile, too.  Here's a nice Coosa River spot caught on the croaker:

post-73714-0-42215400-1480787945.jpg

Best results I've had with a frog is the 3/4 oz Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog in croaker and green tea. IMO, it's the legs that make it so effective; they look great and the action is quite realistic in the water as opposed to the little rubber strands used by most frogs...casts a mile, too. Here's a nice Coosa River spot caught on the croaker:

Nice fish and it's such a cool brown color far from the more green I usually see.

Nice fish and it's such a cool brown color far from the more green I usually see.

That's the Coosa River spot for you; the further down the river, the darker...and they fight like hell.  This one was caught in the Coosa tailwaters below the Lake Jordan dam.