Hank Riffee

Line Burn!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I've been practicing casting out in a empty field (the lack of water on my line is probably contributing to the problem) and line burn is becoming a problem. Thumbing the spool doesn't help too much, since part of my thumb is always touching the line.

Is there any way I can fix this? It doesn't hurt my thumb too much, but it's scorching and destroying the mono on my reel.

Thanks!

Best  not touch the line until terminal tackle hits the water....to prevent spool overrun. You should use other braking methods with line in-flight ie magnetic, centrifugal braking.

Posted (edited)

To slow the reel:

More or larger brake blocks

Heavier oil in the bearings

More natural braking:

Thicker line

Lower line level

If the spool has a shoulder next to the side plate, thumb the shoulder and not the line

<edit> if I recall correctly, the Sealine comes with two sets of brake blocks.

There will be less braking with the rounded end of the brake block to the outside, more braking with the flat side of the brake block to the outside. Also the drum should be free of oil or grease.

Edited by Don B

Thanks! Is the drum the area with the brake blocks?

Yes, it is the ring attached to the inside of the side plate. The brake blocks slide outward on pins and rub on the inside of the ring.

Been there ,done that. Man that hurts!!! If you use your right thumb try growing your thumb nail a little longer and slow the reel with the thumb nail against the spool flange.

Been there ,done that. Man that hurts!!! If you use your right thumb try growing your thumb nail a little longer and slow the reel with the thumb nail against the spool flange.

That's a cool idea!

Would it help if I used different line (pound test, or maybe braid) in addition to these things? I'm using 20lb ande mono

Make sure spool tension isnt to loose, there should be very little side to side movement.

I replaced my SL20SH with a akios 757 with and my troubles went away.

(Well almost). And distance improved.

That's a cool idea!

Would it help if I used different line (pound test, or maybe braid) in addition to these things? I'm using 20lb ande mono

Hank I use 20lb mono on my SLOSH20 reel.

#1 try a little less line on your spool.#2 keep spool tension with almost no play.#3 rewind your line carefully.

#4 when you cast start off slow like a large truck at a light. then pick up speed as you swing into your cast. This might help you more than anything.

Hank I use 20lb mono on my SLOSH20 reel.

#1 try a little less line on your spool.#2 keep spool tension with almost no play.#3 rewind your line carefully.

#4 when you cast start off slow like a large truck at a light. then pick up speed as you swing into your cast. This might help you more than anything.

I think #4 is my biggest issue! I can cast smoothly most of the time (no backlashes or burn), but when I put more muscle into my cast, it gets more jerky/whippy

At the beginning of my cast (when I'm casting hard) it seems like I don't have connection with my weight, like there's slack in the line.

Im not sure it will help with burn (spool tension) but will help with other issues.

Great advice from the other casters above.

When practicing concentrate on the fundamentals, start slow, push pull , hip turn, feet, rod position. Dont worry about distance as much, it will come. easier said then done.

Hank  Try a 2,3,and 4oz sinker  and see which works best with your rod. Go to a pond or park. You have all winter.

If you still have trouble after less line on the spool then switch to 30lb mono until you get the hang of it.The thicker line will come off the spool faster and hope fully less backlashes