FunkyBunker

Mantis Shrimp

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Has anyone else encountered them washed up on the beach like i saw yesterday? I just looked at a 20 ft section real quick and counted about 35 of them. There was at least a 200ft section like this that i could see. Most of them were alive too. One fisherman was picking some of them up and tossing them in the surf. Hopefully nobody decided to grab them with their bare hands yesterday to check them out. Up until yesterday i had only seen them in pics of bass stomach contents. These guys were crawling away while trying to take the pic, threw them both back in right after. 

post-67731-0-03690100-1480080092.jpg

Maybe ten years ago after a morning of live lining spot off the north jetty in barnegat, we got back to the dock filleted the few we had and each of there stomachs had at least 2 or 3 of them in it. Blew my mind at the time never knew we got them around here.

Just spoke with one of the welders, said his buddy used to catch them on his commercial boat. Said he couldn't find a market for them so he gave up keeping them. But he said he did eat them before and they are pretty good. 

I snagged two in the fall on the beach only time I've encountered except in stripers stomachs. I wonder if they migrate being you found so many, I used the one's I got as bait, no love,

I've read about them before, it says they eat them in other countries. There are recipes online. Never heard of anybody trying them here. 

In Italy they call them canoce, and that's the kind of shrimp you get in Venice.  They serve them over pasta, and from what I saw they look like they are a pain to get the meat oiut.

Big fluke like them too. When alive they are foul tempered nasty little buggers. I have heard they can slice open a finger if you're not careful with them.

Trust me i had my gloves on and wasn't exactly sure how "alive" they really were. Made sure to not put my fingers anywhere if front of them. The ones with the spear type arms can reach like 3/4 the length of there bodies with the speed of a bullet. I would rather take a hook through the finger. 

Likely only a daytime blitzing thing... lol. There's one species with a hammer claw and one with a sickle like claw.

I really wish it was a blitz of some sort. High tide Thursday was at 430am, I was shown them at 750am, and surprisingly the seagulls were not all over them. Yesterday i got to the surf at 6am and it was all seaweed stacked on the beach and no shrimp this time. Today i got out there at 530am and a little bit less seaweed and no shrimp again. Also nothing biting in the surf right now. Last bass i caught there was 3 weeks ago, and there hasn't been any since then. Nobody else has been getting anything in the area either.  I've talked to a few locals that have lived there for 30+ years, and they say they have never seen them there.