rayndogg19

Kick start the build season! "SWAP"

Rate this topic

321 posts in this topic

me too!!

noticed a lot of guys were making big plugs so I went in the ofther direction....

Sealed up, 3 1/2" and around 1.75 ounces .

Looking forward to other guys work!!

Alright guys ill try to keep this short.... THIS IS THE SWAP FROM HELL!!!

first batch of plugs ruined due to a sealer problem. More like my epoxy box problem over heating and sucking the epoxy back out of the wood.... those went into the trash. Finaly got around to painting the new batch of plugs on monday airbrush/compressor problems. Had to spray can them not the end of the world but i would of rathered used my guns. So ill get to the most important part. Put first layer of epoxy on last night i usually only do 1 thicker layer of epoxy. Was haveing a problem with working time on the etex. I only mix abiut as much epoxy for 6 plugs never have a problem with the viscosity lowering but with these at about plug number four the epoxy was starting to get slightly thicker. (Should have stoped but didnt) finished the next two and mixed next batch of 6 was better but still same problems. Got all plugs covered and looked good. No bubbles or anything. Came back to look at them tonight and half of the plugs have some bad epoxy scaleing. Going to try to wet sand and reapply a second coat to salvage them might mix enought epoxy for 2 plugs and go from there and see how it goes. If i cant fix the problem we will have to back out.

Question for you guys is does it sound like the epoxy is bad?? Have never had a problem with working times when only doing 6 plugs.

first batch of plugs ruined due to a sealer problem. More like my epoxy box problem over heating and sucking the epoxy back out of the wood.... those went into the trash. Finaly got around to painting the new batch of plugs on monday airbrush/compressor problems. Had to spray can them not the end of the world but i would of rathered used my guns. So ill get to the most important part. Put first layer of epoxy on last night i usually only do 1 thicker layer of epoxy. Was haveing a problem with working time on the etex. I only mix abiut as much epoxy for 6 plugs never have a problem with the viscosity lowering but with these at about plug number four the epoxy was starting to get slightly thicker. (Should have stoped but didnt) finished the next two and mixed next batch of 6 was better but still same problems. Got all plugs covered and looked good. No bubbles or anything. Came back to look at them tonight and half of the plugs have some bad epoxy scaleing. Going to try to wet sand and reapply a second coat to salvage them might mix enought epoxy for 2 plugs and go from there and see how it goes. If i cant fix the problem we will have to back out.

Question for you guys is does it sound like the epoxy is bad?? Have never had a problem with working times when only doing 6 plugs.

Don't beat yourself up, the fish don't care.  

That sucks, Scotty!

I noticed my etex had an 'egg drop soup' look in the hardener and refused to use it. Epoxy is maybe 4 months old. regardless is this what your talking about??

That sucks, Scotty!

I noticed my etex had an 'egg drop soup' look in the hardener and refused to use it. Epoxy is maybe 4 months old. regardless is this what your talking about??

Talked with another builder on here with more detail about the problems seems he has had similar problems and it stems from the resin going bad. Brand new bottles so they must of been on the shelf a while i guess live and learn.

Tried to salvage plugs about 8 of them wernt so bad the other 3 where garbage. Will have to bow out of this swap. I go on the road for work on the 1st and wont be home until may. Would like to get everyone who was in the swaps contact info so i could get them a plug once im back in the shop.

How is everyone making out, I have been working my ass off the past few days on these plugs lol, guess that's what I get for starting them this week, but I want to keep my word on the 3/1 deadline. You guys are posting awesome stuff, this was such a great Idea!!!

I'm thinking I'm running a week late works been crazy

i too are running way behind been to crazy and i just now noticed i forgot to drill the eyes!  will get them done even if its one more week. no stress! i see some are done or just about, if you need more time, its all good... we all have lifes... dont go crazy!

that sucks! sounds like the epoxy was bad. its happend to me in past lately i been just rattle can clearing them with good results