Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Tips for driving on the beach?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My buddy recently got a beach buggy permit for IBSP. He said that he was suppose to get a video with driving tips, but did not. I was hopeing that those of you "in-the-know" might be able to offer some pointers here. I'll pass then on to him. I was going to head out with him later today (Sunday) to allow him to get his sealegs(?) on an empty beach. Maybe throw a line in and try to catch some frozen fish.

dont know ibsp,butin general,bring along a shovel,tow chain,cellphone,and some common sense.there will probably be a well defined (track)path where others have driven,its usually safe to ride in it.if you get buried get out and dig out.you'll only get buried deeper,and although in the summer you can get help,this time of year,you'll likely be alone.airing down the tires to 17 (?)psi is a good idea if the truck is unproven.i've never had to air down yet,but then again,my truck is awesome.check out the beach buggy forum,for more help,good luck! trk111.jpg

First and most important; air down. IBSP is among the softest beaches in Jersey and 15 to 18 will keep you going without trouble in the chopped-up areas.

Airing down is not just about not getting stuck; it allows the whole drivetrain work with less stress. Use 4High, stay in the track when you can and use moderation when applying throttle; the last thing you ever want to do on the beach is spin your tires.

For a comprehensive instruction on driving the beach I would recommend the free beach driving class offered by the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association. It covers everything with a focus on proper recovery methods; knowing how to dig out and pull out will save much time and energy when you get stuck (which you will, at some point). Knowing what to do will determine whether you get mad.gif , cwm31.gif , or cwm27.gif .

Airing down saves your drivetrain and the beach. 12-15 PSI MAXIMUM! Those that feel "I don't need to with MY truck" will incur higher repair bills than their less-stubborn brethren. Overheated transmissions, broken axles, universal joints ...it goes on and on.

When starting out on the sand, be sure your wheels are not turned. That is to say, drive straight ahead until you're actually moving. 10 MPH maximum. You should be able to lift your foot from the accelerator and still keep rolling. If not, you didn't let enough air out of your tires.

Go to the LIBBA site (www.LIBBA.com) for beach driving tips. By all means, attend the NJBBA Beach Driving Class!

Others have told you about required and suggested equipment. Others have told you the importance of "staying in the track", which will not only facilitate driving, but will also keep you out of trouble. If the guy who went through ahead of you didn't sink, neither will you! Sometimes wet sand looks inviting, but has water just below the surface, and you quickly sink to the floorboards! Be smart, and this will NEVER happen to you,

AMMO

Also a good idea to have the Ranger shack phone #

with you.732-793-0030.

Could be of great help to you, or someone you're trying to assist.

Also,since IBSP is prone to beach closures for driving when the tide is extremely high,I'll call before heading down if the weather has been real snotty.

Saved me a trip a few times.

At the risk of beating a dead horse---AIR DOWN!!!

Everyone mentions it because it's the single most important thing you can do.

Otherwise, have all of your required equipment, keep it under 15 mph (or 10 if that's the limit), stay in established tracks and use common sense. Start out with gentle accelerator pressure, and with your front wheels straight--go forward before you cut your wheels. Stay off the brakes as much as possible and let sand friction slow you down. Spinning or locking your wheels will cause you to dig into the sand. There is never any need to drive faster than 15 and if you drive correctly, you should rarely have to touch your brakes to stop.

Watch out for kim.jpg

Thanks for the GREAT advice all! Our time on the beach yesterday was a blast! We let the air out of the tires and had no problems. We caught (and released) several small stripers. I hope the largers ones are that abundent in the spring smile.gif We even caught one on the beauties like the one Plugmiester posted. We cut it up and used it for bait! cwm8.gif