Not a new rule...but one we are gonna start enforcing about spot burning

Rate this topic

TimS

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2016 at 10:41 AM, TimS said:

Negative...few people have their location in their profile. And most guys that fish don't fish only right outside their doors :)

Folks are welcome to post the general location in accordance with the current guidelines...which is limited to the area within a county - eastern Hudson...northern Monmouth...southern Ocean <--- all welcome and allowed...contrary to how some folks make them feel :wave:

TimS

Super new here, sorry if I missed it - is there a list of rules somewhere? Would have been happy to share my locations, just to be helpful to others ... but won’t if it breaks the rules.

Edit: saw your mention of counties, and the same suggestion in another post. Is this the only level of detail we can provide? Is town info too detailed?

Edited by _Doug_

3 hours ago, _Doug_ said:

Super new here, sorry if I missed it - is there a list of rules somewhere? Would have been happy to share my locations, just to be helpful to others ... but won’t if it breaks the rules.

Edit: saw your mention of counties, and the same suggestion in another post. Is this the only level of detail we can provide? Is town info too detailed?

Doug, there are Guidelines at the top of the page. Each fishing report thread also usually explains that counties are as specific as we’d like here. Contrary to what some folks imagine, sharing the county rather than directions to their boot prints helps far more people by not sending report chasers to a specific spot where they can litter, park on lawns, slam car doors and play loud music at 3am while putting on their boots. There is nothing but downside to sending people to the exact scene of the last fish someone saw someone  land...the fish move...and they move much better than report chasers and their litter :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

• 1 month later...

I live in Massachusetts and the most iconic spot is cape cod canal. So, how do I go about reporting or describing this area? 

Do I keep it to west end east end and middle? Do i mention tide, time of day pictures of fish? A spot like this is more popular then most. So does it fall under different parameters?

Fishing is not my hobie,it's my obsession!

Everything but location, I would think, the whole point is to not draw crowds to spots that are already too crowded, I think the Canal fits that criteria. (I'm thinking of the RR bridge this past year)

All the other info is what will be most useful to other fishermen, not what rock you were standing on.

Love the Canal, BTW, even if I haven't yet had one of those "epic" trips, it's still a beautiful place to spend some time.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Fluke1234 said:

Apologises, accidently did it in another thread. Didn't realize mentioning an entire area counted. What's a better way to word it? Should I have said off the coast of barengat bay?

“Out back, ocean county”

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

New here. Can someone explain the purpose of the thread? I am not allowed to describe where I caught said fish, show picture of said fish with land marks? If someone can figure out where I caught it, wouldn't they already have knowledge of said spot? Seems very immature.

3 hours ago, Mdbasser said:

New here. Can someone explain the purpose of the thread? I am not allowed to describe where I caught said fish, show picture of said fish with land marks? If someone can figure out where I caught it, wouldn't they already have knowledge of said spot? Seems very immature.

Welcome to the forum.  The purpose of the reports thread is to share useful information about current conditions, without disclosing specific spots.  I find it extremely valuable to know if people are seeing bait (and what type), if there are fish hitting close to the beach (I flyfish, so it's encouraging to hear that people are catching fish at the lip), what colors are working, etc.  I drive at least an hour to fish, so the info above is helpful in helping me decide if it's worth taking the day off and driving down - if the reports describe really tough conditions, I might decide to postpone my trip to another day (I'm lucky if I get to fish once a week).  I don't want or need to know exactly where people are catching fish, and if someone caught fish at one of my favorite places and then posted it here for hundreds to see, I wouldn't be happy to find the spot overrun if I was planning to be there the next day.  If you post a pic showing you caught a nice fish at some beach, and a bunch of people recognized where you were and changed their plans and all showed up there the next day, it would be more crowded than if you hadn't done that (lots of people out there chase reports).  

Hope this helps explain the reason for the rules.  

I get what you are saying. I do not for the most part give detailed reports and never post pictures. But sharing of details can lead you me and others to new adventures. I have developeded knowledge thru others knowledge. Be it reading articles, watching a program or simply disecting a post. I guess I have not experienced the over crowding others have. I've been around since long time and sometimes simply enjoy others having success.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, Mdbasser said:

Why would you want to bring a huge crowd to a bite you managed to find ? Next thing you know you're squeezed out of your own spot.

The object is to avoid this:

AHcrop3.jpg.06c4a8ea4752b94b587c1cfab56bdf8a.jpg

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Additionally due to people burning spots we are no longer allowed to fish and park at many of them - fishing off the big bridges in Monmouth county for example. Some of the greatest fishing ever - then it turned into a zoo and fishing was banned because guys couldn't keep their mouths shut.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962