Marty

Good 7 ft boat rod?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have St Croix avid 7 ft rod spinning rod that I been using all year for Fluke and bass. I think its 1/2 to 11/2. It's not doing it for the bigger bass. I do use a casting rod to jig. I'm looking for a stronger spinning rod to cast bucktails and slam a bass in the 25 lb to 35 lb. what do you use?

I use the st.croix mojo heavy fast action 7'6 3/4-2 oz and caught bass to 25lbs without a problem...i regularly jig plastics with 1.5-2 oz jigheads on this rod. they make a 7' version also with the same rating but feels a little stiffer.

Star Stellar Lite 12-20 lb. I use the 7'6" spinning but the 7" is the same blank. I think they cut down the tip, not the butt so the power is the same. These rods are my number one for everything but albies, which explains why I have three of them set up. I even use this rod for bottom fishing. I just used them jigging for tog the previous two days and they performed awesome. The rod features a great combo of power, sensitivity, and action. I like the 7'6" because it features a slightly softer tip, which is great when I'm using smaller lures and soft plastics. The rod is rated for 2 oz but it's able to handle more than that comfortably. I've thrown 3oz wooden plugs, 10" Fin-S Fish, and even the big Shimano Orca without feeling like I'm stressing the rod out.

I use a Shimano NE Teremar H rated 1-4. Its a very versatile rod that can throw heavy plugs when they are on top or diamond jig/live line. It also has a nice bend and is sensitive.

I second the Teramar as a great all around rod for boat and beach use....  there are several models for different lure weights depending on what you're looking for exactly.

G. Loomis Pro Blue............

. I'm looking at that Ron today. I have the pro blue in conv. Good pick. I been using my st Croix conv today and got these. I like the rod just wish it was a spinning

post-12965-0-17542500-1479150162.jpg

Got 4 spinning on the boat coupled with Gossa 6000 along with conventionals too......great  rods, can't kill'em....no problem for big girls and such.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal