Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
driven

Pinnacle Deadbolt Limited...Dead on First Trip

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Well, thought this felt like a really nice reel, got a pretty good deal on it, and one stinking fish is all it took to break.

The reel is a Deadbolt Limited Model DLF40. 10 ball bearings, almost as smooth as my little Stradic. Anyhow, one bluefish was all it took to puke the anti-reverse. Now, the handle will spin backwards as it wants. It does catch in some places, but if you try to test the AR by reeling and stopping and appling a little backward pressure, the handle will intermitantly spin in reverse with no friction whatsoever mad.gif .

Any help or hints would be much appreciated. I have never taken a reel apart, but have a diagram for this one somewhere, and would be willing to learn on this one.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Both. Was a few weeks ago, finally dug it out of the corner I threw it into after the trip. Was in the boat and cruised up a school of small 2-3 pound blues. First cast, first fish, broken...

I asked cause if it wasn't the first time you used it, there was the chance that it was a salt/grime problem with the IAR - but since it was your first use, that ain't it. Odds are, the IAR is defective - not likely because of the fish you caught, it was probably defective from the factory. IAR on spinning reels is a little different than on conventional reels - generally smile.gif

Under the rotor there's likely a "ring" that contains a number of individual roller bearings - they look like tiny steel rods enclosed in a bearing race - one side of the each steel rods personal little "cage" (for lack of a better word wink.gif ) has a sharp edge angled to grab the steel rod - the other side is angled to allow the rod to rotate freely. What generally happens is gunk/salt/grime will interfer with the sharp edges ability to grab the steel rod, thus allowing the rod to rotate the wrong way. There's probably 8 or more "rods" in the IAR for a reel that size - if one or two don't work, the remaining ones might not be able to deal stop the reel from going backwards - and if they go backwards, it'll destroy their "cage".

Sorry for the non-technical terms, I know how they work, I dunno what the pieces/parts are called wink.gif

Basically, return it for a refund and buy a TiCA Libra, you'll like it better wink.gif

TimS

Ixnay on the manufacturer.

"Pinnacle" is an alias for SILSTAR.

Any inquiry regarding service or parts is simply not answered.

You would have better luck at the retail store where you bought it.

If THEY seem uncooperative at first, get LOUD, and stand your ground.

They will accomodate you simply not to lose OTHER customers.

Next time kaow your brand names!

I have a very old, probably 12-15 years, little Pinnacle Deadbolt - it's the smallest one - and it's been to Canada a few times and has beat up on it's share of 10# walleyes and even landed a 21# musky once. I don't use spinning gear in fresh water any more, but I still use this reel weekly as it's now on the rod I use to wrassle my 14# cat Calvin with smile.gif It's a tough little reel, I'd previously have recommended it to anyone...I dunno how long Silstar has been making them, but this one is sweet smile.gif

TimS

I've owned a few pinnacle reels, namely their baitcasters, which were great until I put braid on them and it ate through the plastic on the bail. They make one heck of a rod. Good blanks, good components, and nice light tips. The reel is actually on a nice Pinnacle Deadbolt Guide IM8 rod and was a sweet combo...for about two minutes. Going to try to take it apart and have a look as I bought it online.

How tough would it be to replace those AR bearings? If anybody can help with any tips, or ideas as to where to find parts, please help a brother out. Thanks again.