heavyweight

Opinions from owners of a starcraft freedom 180

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a new aluminum boat.i currently own a starcraft 16' with a 25hp tiller and want a boat that is a little bigger to run in the sound chasing albies and stripers.my problem is i mainly launch out of a river and sometimes the mouth can get a little hairy with my 16'.motor is underpowered for the boat and lacks the manuaverability to safly navigate rough water.the freedom has a taller freeboard and almost 3 feet longer than my current boat.i would get the tiller version because i like the open floor plan and power it with a 90 etec.just curious if anyone is running this boat in the salt for the same purpose and how it handles rough water (2-4').i fish a river for stripers from oct-may and shallow water reefs so i dont want a fiberglass boat.if anybody can give me a little insight on how this boat handles it would be greatly appreciated since i only want to make sure i am making the right decision.thankyou in advance for any imput.

Check in the Walleye blogs around Minn. Wis. area they all like tiller boats and you may find some info there. 

Also, had one come in for service where I used to work and I was impressed.

Edited by Stonesipher

I am in the market for a new aluminum boat.i currently own a starcraft 16' with a 25hp tiller and want a boat that is a little bigger to run in the sound chasing albies and stripers.my problem is i mainly launch out of a river and sometimes the mouth can get a little hairy with my 16'.motor is underpowered for the boat and lacks the manuaverability to safly navigate rough water.the freedom has a taller freeboard and almost 3 feet longer than my current boat.i would get the tiller version because i like the open floor plan and power it with a 90 etec.just curious if anyone is running this boat in the salt for the same purpose and how it handles rough water (2-4').i fish a river for stripers from oct-may and shallow water reefs so i dont want a fiberglass boat.if anybody can give me a little insight on how this boat handles it would be greatly appreciated since i only want to make sure i am making the right decision.thankyou in advance for any imput.

Are you planning to list your Starcraft? i might be in the market

I moved from a 14' Sylvan tiller with a 20hp to a 19' CC with a 90hp. Sometimes I really miss the smaller boat. I like the bigger boat but aside from my saltwater expeditions the 14' did everything the 19' does and a lot less work. Still wondering if I made the right move...

I moved from a 14' Sylvan tiller with a 20hp to a 19' CC with a 90hp. Sometimes I really miss the smaller boat. I like the bigger boat but aside from my saltwater expeditions the 14' did everything the 19' does and a lot less work. Still wondering if I made the right move...

I hear you a smaller boat is alot easier to handle by ureself but im just tired of not being able to get to the hot bite and want a boat with a little more room.i have a buddy that goes with me alot so not many times do i fish alone.i think hetting a bigger faster boat will expand alot more oportunity for me.

I hear you a smaller boat is alot easier to handle by ureself but im just tired of not being able to get to the hot bite and want a boat with a little more room.i have a buddy that goes with me alot so not many times do i fish alone.i think hetting a bigger faster boat will expand alot more oportunity for me.

I might be interested in selling my 19' center console.

I might be interested in selling my 19' center console.

If its a aluminum boat i would be interested.i also do alot of freshwater fishing so that is the reason why i am leaning closer to a bigger aluminum tiller boat.

It's not but if you want to see a nice tiller look at mirrocraft backtroller, lund rebel tiller. My CC Bluefin is my first fiberglass boat and I do like it. Most likely my last boat...

I will look into the mirrocraft but the lund rebel is smaller than the starcraft freedom180...the only lund that compares is the 18 alaskan but the beam on the starcraft is as wide as the 20ft lund alaskan.pretty sure the statctaft will suit my needs but was just wondering if thier was anyone on here with this boat and was wondering how they like it.i appreciate the advice though.thats a nice boat you have but i am looking for a aluminum and not in the market for a fiberglass boat yet.

I will look into the mirrocraft but the lund rebel is smaller than the starcraft freedom180...the only lund that compares is the 18 alaskan but the beam on the starcraft is as wide as the 20ft lund alaskan.pretty sure the statctaft will suit my needs but was just wondering if thier was anyone on here with this boat and was wondering how they like it.i appreciate the advice though.thats a nice boat you have but i am looking for a aluminum and not in the market for a fiberglass boat yet.

I checked these out. I really like the taller freeboard for a saltwater application in rougher waters. Starcraft's website sucks with too much flash, and windows and moving parts etc. It's difficult to tell but do you know if the 16' freedom also has the taller freeboard and larger beam?

I owned a lund, nice boat but really overpriced. The Alaskan is well made nice tiller but seems like there asking way to much. You can get a nice fiberglass CC for what they want for those lunds... tough choice. I do like the ride of my fiberglass boat over any of the 10 other aluminum boats I've had..

I checked these out. I really like the taller freeboard for a saltwater application in rougher waters. Starcraft's website sucks with too much flash, and windows and moving parts etc. It's difficult to tell but do you know if the 16' freedom also has the taller freeboard and larger beam?

Yes i believe the beam is the same with as the 18.i believe the freeboard is the same also...if you look on boat trader some of the dealers in michigan have some good pics and looking at the 16' you can get a pretty good idea of how high the sides really are.i also took the advice from another post and looked at some other forums and alot of walleye fisherman use this boat on the great lakes.