yosco

Vapor trail opinions

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a 12' 2-4, did not like it. The rod couldn't handle 3, so forget 4. Took 6" off the tip, made it a little better but I haven't fished it much. Would not be a rod that I would use to throw metal lips.

I would strongly urge you to try one before buying if you can.

Edited by Drew C.

I love my VT - but it is not a great rod for metal lips - too fast I think.  i much -prefer a rod with a softer tip to "lob" something out there.  Now a SS darter or little neck or an epoxy jig the VT is awesome!  

Wish they had better customer service but that is a whole nuther thread 

A VT too fast? Wow.

yeah, fast, it's definitely not fast.

I have 10' 1-3 that I absolutely love. It's my favorite rod (not necessarily my most used though). The 12' was just too soft in the tip. To be honest I'm not sure 6" off is going to make me happy, might need more.

Prudent to cut in increments of an inch or so, no more.

I've come to like my 1-3 oz. VT, 11' and two pieces, as a specialty rod. Not as a general purpose stick. It's over-rated at 1-3 oz., it's really a 5/8 to 2 1/4 oz rod. It is great during albie season when you want to fire small tins to maximum range, but you can practically bend it in half with a strong cast with 2 oz., so I want something stronger and faster if I buy another surf spinning rod.

I have a 12' 2-4, did not like it. The rod couldn't handle 3, so forget 4. Took 6" off the tip, made it a little better but I haven't fished it much. Would not be a rod that I would use to throw metal lips.

Thanks. Kind of advice I am looking for. Have watched a guy on two occasions throw

SP's and bombers after sunup and looked good to me.  The 2-4 not being able to handle

3 is a bad sign. Hopefully they will schedule casting demos I could make to try one out.

I've come to like my 1-3 oz. VT, 11' and two pieces, as a specialty rod. Not as a general purpose stick. It's over-rated at 1-3 oz., it's really a 5/8 to 2 1/4 oz rod. It is great during albie season when you want to fire small tins to maximum range, but you can practically bend it in half with a strong cast with 2 oz., so I want something stronger and faster if I buy another surf spinning rod.

It was pretty clear to me that 6" at a minimum needed to go. It was a 12' blank but in reality (at least to me) it seemed like an 11' blank with an 12" that wasn't needed. Way too soft in the tip. The rod won't be useful as originally intended but it will likely do well as an open beach, light lure rod.

Thanks. Kind of advice I am looking for. Have watched a guy on two occasions throw

SP's and bombers after sunup and looked good to me.  The 2-4 not being able to handle

3 is a bad sign. Hopefully they will schedule casting demos I could make to try one out.

With 6" off the tip it does up to ~2.5. It does plastic minnow lures well. Perhaps the blank was mis-labeled as I found very similar to my 10' 1-3, almost identical in what it could handle, just longer. 

Regardless, it will get used, just not as originally intended.

I've been using this rod more and more. Been throwing a ton of SS bullets and little necks in the 2 5/8 range a good ways as the bait has been farther and farther out in my areas. I could agree though that it definitely bends with the cast and even more so with big fish. I fish nothing but sandy beaches so I really don't have to winch anything in. 45" I caught last week the rod made a damn u-turn. Straight up from the but and tip almost touching the water. Decent enough backbone to reel her in though. 

The 12' VT in the 2-4 rating is very soft and loose feeling to most. It has a place for a distance rod for light offerings for a person who wants to put minimal energy into the rod ( good for an older guy). I agree it should be tried before ordering.

yeah, fast, it's definitely not fast.

I have 10' 1-3 that I absolutely love. It's my favorite rod (not necessarily my most used though). The 12' was just too soft in the tip. To be honest I'm not sure 6" off is going to make me happy, might need more.

Hey Drew, was thinking of getting a custom 10'1-3 that you have and i was wondering what they max out at casting wise? I heard a 2 1/4 oz SS Popper is no problem but after that it gasses out.

Sorry for partial hijack.

I have the 11' 1 - 3. For what I throw 90% of the time it's perfect. I'm talkin plastic swimmers, needles, pencils, Polaris , slug go, hair, and shads in the 1 - 2 oz range. For metal lips it does ok if no heavier than 2 oz. For bigger plugs i prefer my century nor'easter rated 1 - 4 or my ODM frontier rated 1 - 4

I had the 11' cts vt 4-8

Loved the rod, threw 1.5oz loaded redfins to 6oz and bunker head without issue

I loved the action/power, tossed an ss darter great

Used it for big metal lips to 4.5oz tossed em great

One of the better rods I've used in the last few seasons but,

Rod broke a couple weeks ago in between the tip and first guide throwing an ss darter

Warranty-you have to send them back to NZ and then go from there. So based on that I won't be buying another one. You pay shipping there plus $60 for a replacement. Wish the local shop or US distributior would handle it than sending it back half way across the globe