bbfish

Liberty State Park

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

You talking about the rocks that surround the park that you have to climb over the railings to get to. They don't allow you to fish from those rocks you have to be on the walk way side. 

Way back in the late 80's and early 90's I used to fish those rocks in late afternoons.  The park police never had a problem with it back then.  Occasionally one would stop and ask how's the fishing.  Now the world has gotten woosie about everything.  

Way back in the late 80's and early 90's I used to fish those rocks in late afternoons.  The park police never had a problem with it back then.  Occasionally one would stop and ask how's the fishing.  Now the world has gotten woosie about everything.  

Sucks I was in to fish too and its just a short bike ride from my apartment, nothing big but was getting pretty consistent bites on shads. Made me want to call the park office and have a chat, but I really dont think it would make a difference.

Edited by bbfish

I as others fished Liberty State Park through the 90's and actually had a kayak fishing outing planned for the Saturday after 9/11.

Unfortunately, after 9/11, the park officials kept you from fishing from the rocks and advised that fishing was permitted from the walkway.  No longer could you fish the side channel where schoolies, and an occasional larger fish, would congregate on an incoming tide.

Just moving back to NJ after 8 years in Chicago, I went to Liberty State Park late last year and I a few dink stripers.

For me, it's no longer worth the trip to go there, so I'll stick with the shore.  Still a pretty cool place to catch some stripers.