bbfish

Liberty State Park

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had issues with the park cops and fishing from the rocks in the park?  Got called up today by a young officer asked to see my Id and pretty much said you cant get close to the water and have to stay on the boardwalk.  Theres gotta be a mile of good shoreline with great structure/current thats completely unnaccessible, the water is like 30-40 feet from the walkway.  Anyone else have this issue or did I just encounter a real hard ass?   

No experience up there, but it sounds about right.....You, a properly equipped and aware fisherman could walk those rocks all day and night without a problem. But as soon as someone sees you, they'll want to come down for a look too, nevermind that they are drunk, or (my personal favorite) barefoot and carrying a child on the rocks. Seen it happen more than once. And so, because other people are clueless, you get shafted. Welcome to the Nanny State.

No experience up there, but it sounds about right.....You, a properly equipped and aware fisherman could walk those rocks all day and night without a problem. But as soon as someone sees you, they'll want to come down for a look too, nevermind that they are drunk, or (my personal favorite) barefoot and carrying a child on the rocks. Seen it happen more than once. And so, because other people are clueless, you get shafted. Welcome to the Nanny State.

Yea I guess it's not too surprising. Growing up life guarding in Bradley beach we had to kick everyone off the jetties except for fishermen. Sucks it's not atleast like that in a park.

I have seen plenty of people fishing/crabbing off the rock jetty's there during the day, I'm not I'm not sure what their official policy is.  I have talked to a few people who caught some nice sized bluefish there one day and there were adult bunker schooling near the golf course.  

I have also seen on more than one occasion a pack of wild dogs running around liberty state park, almost all the same breed of medium 50-60lbs sized german shepherd/lab/coyote looking thing.  

Yup my home waters. I Fish there all the time. Your not talking about the jetties next to the parking lot? You talking about the rocks that surround the park that you have to climb over the railings to get to. They don't allow you to fish from those rocks you have to be on the walk way side. Most fish in front of the statue where there are no rocks lol or cimb over cast your line and hop back over. That would only be food for bait fishing. They usually won't say anything if you go on the rocks to retrieve your catch.

Edited by Dee

Some of the cops there have a pretty bad attitude imo. They pick and choose to enforce what they want, when they want. Parking at the boat ramp is the same thing. Ive seen a few people park there and fish at the boardwalk and no tickets. Then 1 day everyone gets a ticket that doesnt have a boat trailer. Selective enforcement. 

OoooooOO, Spot burn ...what u describe sounds about right for urban fishing. Officers who can't relate will do stuff like that. Training kicks in when they see someone doing something out of the ordinary...There are a few spots where I've built a rapport with the people who patrol areas I fish. They usually come off as a hardass the first time, then dont bother me after they see I respect what they have to do.

I've heard the Hudson River can be very productive

Yup my home waters. I Fish there all the time. Your not talking about the jetties next to the parking lot? You talking about the rocks that surround the park that you have to climb over the railings to get to. They don't allow you to fish from those rocks you have to be on the walk way side. Most fish in front of the statue where there are no rocks lol or cimb over cast your line and hop back over. That would only be food for bait fishing. They usually won't say anything if you go on the rocks to retrieve your catch.

Yea I was down on the rocks plugging, no bait for me, guy said I cant be past the railing so i dont fall in...

Some of the cops there have a pretty bad attitude imo. They pick and choose to enforce what they want, when they want. Parking at the boat ramp is the same thing. Ive seen a few people park there and fish at the boardwalk and no tickets. Then 1 day everyone gets a ticket that doesnt have a boat trailer. Selective enforcement.

The Rangers are usually cool but I don't think it's them I think the parking at the ramp must have been enforced. It use to be no problem parking there like you said as long as you kept room for people with trailers, we fished for snappers there. Now when I ride through every time I see a car in there the Rangers say something now I don't see any cars in there.