gradywhite3535

Fishing with metal

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

When fishing off the beach with say a 1 1/2 oz Hopkins tin or a kastmaster do you want it a little bit under the surface or drag it on bottom? Tips on how to correctly use one would be great? Thank you

Best to put it at the same depth as the bait. In the salt we cast them.  Many fresh water suppliers list them as Jigging Spoons fished as we do Diamond Jiggs

When fishing off the beach with say a 1 1/2 oz Hopkins tin or a kastmaster do you want it a little bit under the surface or drag it on bottom? Tips on how to correctly use one would be great? Thank you

I love fishing metal, but this is a tough question and there is not a right answer- that is, you don't really know where you want it until you figure out where the fish want it that day.  This can vary depending on a variety of factors including where the bait is, but I've found it is also highly dependent on your target species.  As a general rule of thumb:  albies want it fast and high in the water column, striped bass want it low and slow, and bluefish are often somewhere between the two extremes of retrieve.

I'll often find myself varying my retrieve speed and style until I find one that is elucidating strikes.  Sometimes you have to start reeling fast as it hits the water, other times it'll get slammed as you let it fall all the way to the bottom before cranking.

The best way to figure it out is find a spot you are confident is holding fish and try different methods until one works, and works with regularity.

Edited by sbcbmx112

Tins - metals are shiny lumps that YOU have make look like fish food while in the water. I have seen them work when everyone was getting fish on Buck Tails. I have seen them work on the surface when there was bait fleeing. A spoonish metal can be used when you want to keep in the middle of the depth. Chrome or stainless will reflect whatever light there is.

Peace

i fish a lot of metal on the beaches of the OBX; A LOT, and i have to agree with the advice of others, put the lure where the fish are.  its "crappy" advice as its not something that you can just walk out on the beach and do, but its the truth. there have been times when ive hooked em at 80 yards in the middle of the column and other times where they have been hitting 2 feet under the surface right behind the first breaker.

one good thing about metal is its easy to work and gives you the freedom (like a buck tail) to truly fish the entire area of ocean in front of you

tight lines!

I typically fish them middle or  low in the water column. It's nice to have a variety in size too. Plain, haired or tubed they all have their place day and night.

I caught this one today on a 1.25oz Hopkins  No=Eql. Kept it low, fish hit 20-30 ft away from me in the first cut. 31" Felt it hit the 2nd bar about 40yds out, then felt it hit the 1st bar about 15yds out, then fish hit the lure. 

post-67731-0-30783300-1478200270.jpg

Sometimes it's that occasional poof of sand you get when it just brushes the bottom that seems to spark the bite, especially when the sandeels are doing their thang. That's not to say it should be dragging along the bottom, but the occasional brush can be a good thing, given the proper circumstances.

As metioned ,they are just like any other lure. Keep contact and adjust weight, try different retrieves. One of my most succesful days using a tin was actually deadsticking an ava27 it in a heavy sweep. Your retrieve will also effect what species will be interested.

Fish it quick, you might get an albie, blue . Moderate , most likely a bass, robin.  Slow,  a fluke.

I'd like to see a thread of pictures of catches at nightime with tins.

What I do to control depth is when it hits the water start retrieving and it will stay at the top of the water column. To stay in the middle of the water column allow it to sink and then start the retrieve. And to fish the bottom allow it to sink until you feel bottom and then retrieve....But also the speed ofthe retrieve must be taken into consideration...It will take some practice to obtain lure control...