FunkyBunker

November 2016 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,550 posts in this topic

OC away from the crowded areas, it was a tough one. Walked several miles and would find small pods of peanuts with a few fish on them, but the conditions were so bad it was hard to spot them in the water... Water was dirty and I left my sunglasses at home so the glare was killing me. I had a few run offs on snag and drop.. Nothing landed.

Question about snag and drop, I do this as a last case tactic. I've been having a hard time with a lot of missed hits and fish that run for 1-5 seconds and drop it. .. Do you set the hook immediately? Do you let them run for a little in free spoon? I'm starting to think the fish feel the weight and drop it. The fish right now at least by me are small so maybe they can't suck it up as easy... I land 3/10 fish snag and drop and don't know what I'm doing wrong?

I find that setting the hook immediately works best and usually keeps it from getting all the way down there throat

Been fishing my butt off for the past two days.

Yesterday sucked, no other words for it.

Today I avoided the mob and found a blitz to myself for an hour and a half, nothing spectacular sizewise but nonstop fish fish to 35"

Only a few birds here and there weren't birds enough to give it away, fought all the fish rod down to the side and unhooked em in the water.

Not a single boardwalk fisherman noticed - it was a beautiful thing

I find that setting the hook immediately works best and usually keeps it from getting all the way down there throat

4' leader, 2' down a treble on a 6" line off a tiny dropper (I tie a small Spro swivel into the dropper), loop on the bottom with a bank sinker

I've never gut hooked a fish doing this and catch every bit as well, if not better, then the guys with weighted snag hooks (which can be a death sentence for the fish if you break off, especially the stainless ones)

Edited by Sudsy

4' leader, 2' down a treble on a 6" line off a tiny dropper (I tie a small Spro swivel into the dropper), loop on the bottom with a bank sinker

I've never gut hooked a fish doing this and catch every bit as well, if not better, then the guys with weighted snag hooks (which can be a death sentence for the fish if you break off, especially the stainless ones)

Thanks for the tip ... if i see the bunker there before i walk down ill bring extra rod with me but usually it is a trying to be fast thing and to lazy to cut n retir leader ect. Never plan on snaggin n dropping ... ive tied weightless trebless abover my lure and done it this way to

This setup makes a lot of sense. The tension on the line caused by the sinker on the bottom coupled with a short (tiny?) dropper loop will reduce the likelihood of the hook being able to get too far down the throat, tx.

This is similar to what I use, except I just put the treble on a 4" dropper loop. So you tie a additional leader to the tiny dropper? Interesting.

What lb leader do you use? I used 25lb test and found that the peanut was getting all wrapped up and twisted, so I upped it to 50lb floro, almost to stiff. Again I resort to snag and drop when I threw everything at them and desperation kicks in, I've noticed snag and drop works on pods of peanuts that aren't even under AttCk.

Well I fished 4 days straight. Wednesday in moco I absolutely hammered the fish. Probably got around 30 fish up to 32 inches. Skunked on Thursday. Friday got 6 or 7 in OC. And Saturday got 15 or so fish up to 35 inches. Putting in time really pays off. Waiting for reports doesn't help much cause these fish move fast. One day they're in one spot and the next they're gone. Put in the time and you'll get rewarded. post-68417-0-69240600-1480234641.jpgpost-68417-0-34689700-1480234674.jpg

This is similar to what I use, except I just put the treble on a 4" dropper loop. So you tie a additional leader to the tiny dropper? Interesting.

What lb leader do you use? I used 25lb test and found that the peanut was getting all wrapped up and twisted, so I upped it to 50lb floro, almost to stiff. Again I resort to snag and drop when I threw everything at them and desperation kicks in, I've noticed snag and drop works on pods of peanuts that aren't even under AttCk.

Depends

Fall peanuts 30# Stren leader, spring horse bunker with huge fish 80 # Momoi Hi-Catch (it's a little softer than most leaders)

Dan

Try tying a medium Tactical Anglers clip to the end of the main line. You can swap from leader to snag n drop rig as fast as changing a plug.

The extra bit of hardware doesn't bother the fish.