sudanraghu2210

Thinning Createx and testor paint - Help

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi

I have just received my first batch of Createx paints from USA. This will be my first time for using airbrush and airbrush colors and need help :

1) Do i need to thin createx paint to milk consistency for using in airbrush.

2) If yes, what type of thinner i am supposed to use and how.

I have been trying to find good resource online for understanding both createx and testor paints for last 15-20 days but could not find any rather got confused.

Some of createx user make their own thinners with Windex glass cleaner mixed with distilled water and glycerin others with alcohol and so on.

I am basically looking for any advice of making own home based thinner since professionally used thinners are not available here and i have to buy online. Further, in most of the cases the thinners are not delivered by online stores because of restrictions.

See help and advice.

Thanks,

Raghubir J Sudan

1/2 Windex (no ammonia) 1/2 water, and one drop glycerin (can get wallys in the first aid section)....

found this on YT , No issues with it.  I use createx .

hope it helps

some say the ammonia doesn't effect the airbrush seals, I've used both...with or without

Edited by keale

Createx sells their own thinner- they call them reducers. Pretty cheap and work well. I find it helps to thin the paints out a bit. Gets you a smoother spray and the airbrush does not gum up that much. I use createx as well.

Never thinned Createx or Testors paint.Never had a reason to or any issues without doing it.Testors paint is already very watery.All of its water based paint and can be thinned with water.

Thanks Keale, rrocco and IslandSurf for your prompt advice .

Will try to do it this week end i have first batch of  6 lures to finish with airbrush colors.

Thanks again to be there for the assistance. :thanks:

Regards,

Raghubir J Sudan

Never thinned Createx or Testors paint.Never had a reason to or any issues without doing it.Testors paint is already very watery.All of its water based paint and can be thinned with water.

I thin with 2 drops of thinner to 4-5 drops of createx...  maybe cause I don't have an expensive airbrush?...

Hi Keale Good evening, thanks for the tips once again. Are you thinning the same way !!I had purchased AZTEX UNIVERSAL ACRYLIC THINNER pretty expensive here cost me USD$ 13.61 to 118 ml. Do you think I can use the same for thinning createx colors. I don't mind using the same if they do the job but I have to look for a cheap option for further. Secondly for last 5-10 days I have been trying to get WINDEX / WINDOLENE glass cleaner with Ammonia free but with no success. I had visited most of the big shopping malls in UAE all of them has Ammonia. Could you suggested me other cleaner option. I am attaching herewith the label showing content of windex available here in UAE.

Thanks,
Raghubir

post-71802-0-63593100-1478022748.jpg

Edited by sudanraghu2210

Hi friendsFinally I manage to get one brand without Ammonia from AEC Shopping mall in Dubai. It was shocking to know WINDEX without Ammonia is not at all available. Any way I got GLASS PLUS Cleaner of about a liter pack.Any of you have used the same, please share does it do the trick.Thanks, RegardsRaghubir

post-71802-0-47575300-1478361994.jpg

I have made my own reducer with 2 parts water 1 part denatured alcohol , 1 cap 5-10 ml of flow agent per liter of finished reducer   , drying inhibitor.

I bought the flow agent and drying inhibitor at an art store but, the flow agent resembles dish soap rather closely so dish soap could be a easily gotten equivalent. And I would not be surprised  if the drying inhibitor was just glycerin, I will have to go to the pharmacy and get some just to see. I don't have a firm amount on the drying inhibitor since that varies to your local humidity. 

Even using the art store supplies my cost is 3$cnd per liter and short of the denatured alcohol I pretty much have a lifetime supply of the components.

I use Createx, mostly pearlescent colors and have used their #5601 Transparent Base to reduce the paint.  Have had no problems.  Remember to heat set each coat with a hair dryer or other light application of heat.