gradywhite3535

Shimano baitrunner question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I think the 6500 is referred to as the 'A' model. It had a noticeable wobble which they fixed when they introduced the 6500B model. Do a web search for Alan Tani. There is a good tutorial for a 6500B on his web site. If you aren't used to working on reels the Shimanos are a pain especially the baitrunners. There are lots of small springs and washers. It will take some practice to become comfortable with them. Also, you will probably have trouble getting parts for the 6500A and B models. Shimano reels are nice but they stop supporting old models pretty quickly after a new model rolls out.

Also, the a I had did not have the roller clutch assembly like most of the newer Shimano Spinning reels. That is probably the biggest difference between the a and b models, other than that, a lot of parts are compatible.

Edited by fishhappy

Is it easy to service? If you take it all the way down, you should put each part in a plastic bag. Number the bags with the part number from the schematic and diagram the orientation of any small parts.

It can be a painful process otherwise.

The difference betwen the A and the B versions are the flyer is modeled differently, theres a different handle, better spool on the B series and the B model has a better roller bearing. The baitrunner a's roller bearing sucked and never worked when I had it. Both of the reel mechanic workings are identical, but the parts are not interchangeable. There is the main gear like all spinners, then a clutch assembly for the baitrunner mechanism. I honestly never tinkered with the clutch assembly due to the fact it never broke down. The reels are pretty simple and easy, just keep track of the parts and screws and you should be fine.