RustySwivel

Top 5 Lures

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'd like to hear your opinions... If you could only take 5 lures fishing for bass, which would they be?

I'm new to surf fishing, having just moved to the coast from PA. Trout bum converting to Beach bum craving Stripers. I have gear to start with, but want to make sure I use my money in the right place on the right tackle & lures. Appreciate your shared knowledge!

Different plugs for day and night and also what bait is around.

You can't go wrong with the following (day or night):
1.  Bucktail

2.  SP Minnow

3.  Mag Darter

4.  Swim shads

At night I'll add super strike bottle and/or northbar bottle darters and also Super Strike darter(s) to the bag.  During the day I always have a pencil popper (prefer Guppy or Gibbs) and a 2 3/8oz super strike little neck popper.  Also usually bring some metal during the day - hopkins shorty for peanuts and ava jig or t-hex for when sandeels are around.  IMO color isn't too important, white is always good as is yellow or yellow over white.  On dark nights I fish all black or blurple colored plugs a lot.  

It would probably be beneficial to use a teaser especially since there's so much small bait around right now.  

Pick up John Skinners book about fishing the bucktail and watch his youtube videos.  Also Zeno Hromins book the art of surfcasting with lures is an essential read for every surfcaster.

Edited by Heavy Seas

Swim shads #1 any time of the year seem to work best

Sp or bomber white or bplurple

Bucktail white with pork rind or white curly tails

Needlefish good for rough windy conditions

Metal like above deadly dicks or a17 , kastmasters

1. Swimmer either SP minnows or Bomber A Salt.

2. Mag Darter.

3. Popper.

If bunker are the prevalent bait:

4. Metal lipped swimmer.

5. Swimmers shads.

If sandeels are prevalent bait:

4. Ava's

5. Needle fish.

Number 4&5 can be argued either way for bunker and sandeels. But these are the order of importance I give to obtaining lures. Down the road you may enlarge your list to a necessary 20 or 30. When you see someone casting something new ask them about it, when to use it, how to work it. Good luck.

Agree with most of the posts. The bucktail 1 to 1 1/2 oz. White . Pork Rinds would be the go to but Uncle Josh is no longer making them try an otter tail or a curly grub. Not sure how the otter tails are working in the surf have seen some people with them, have to put that on my to do list.

SP Minnow prefer floater in laser sardine.

Pencil popper yellow wish plugcaster was still making them

Super strike darter white

Hopkins Shorty sorry old fashioned.

As you can see everyone has a variable built in when it comes to the time of day and what time of the year it is. Bucktail is universal size varies on where you fish. Second Heavy Seas gave best advice on reading material and Skinner's most recent book has scan codes that go to you tube so you see what is written in action.

For me bucktails get more fish than all the other lures I carry combined. 1/2 to 3oz but rarely need over an ounce for the jersey beaches I fish. You said you came from fresh water so you most likely have some zoom super flukes laying around that will work just fine to tip the bucktails with. Weighted swim shads in various sizes and weights will work the same part of the water column if you prefer the feed back you get from the tail thumping. I also can't leave home with out a couple poppers one floater and one sinker, a metal lip, a darter (day or night) and a 2-3oz bank sinker with either some flies or small sluggos to rig above it. This time of year I always have a couple deadly dicks too incase albies show up. Some guys always have SP's or mag darters in the bag and I carry a bunch of minnow plugs too but don't ever get bass on them, just blues and bigger fluke. Go figure.

Edited by part cork

What's a SP minnow, got plenty of ASalts but never heard of SP? Also, how do you all feel about swinging hook buck tails rather than standard? Seems like they'd add more action but line angle vs. hook angle has me thinking about lost fish....?

What's a SP minnow, got plenty of ASalts but never heard of SP? Also, how do you all feel about swinging hook buck tails rather than standard? Seems like they'd add more action but line angle vs. hook angle has me thinking about lost fish....?

Diawa SP Minnow

post-3674-0-83787300-1478012507.jpg