looney tunes

My new backyard pal Screech

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

in my really limited googling, daytime activity shouldn't have much affect.  once its in there sleeping it should be good for the day. that probably changes a bit if/when they nest and have babies. ive only ever seen mine late in the day around 530/6 when it starts getting dark.  never seen it outside of the box, or in the am.  im going to setup my gopro at some point this weekend really close and put on some ambient light to see if I can get all planet earth on it.  I just want to see it fly and make some noise already.

I never saw mine fly.

I did however hear him. My friend dropped by to take a few pics of him and he played the call from his phone and the owl return called, it was pretty funny.

GBG - looks like a red morph?  Cool.

I hear ours often, in the evening, and have seen him fly every evening (I have the box where I can see it from inside the house).  Almost like clockwork, about 15 minutes after official sunset.  Sometimes he seems to drop straight down, other times into nearby trees and once straight over the house.  Pretty neat.

I also see ours quite a bit during the day, he'll "sun" himself near the opening from time to time.

I also see ours quite a bit during the day, he'll "sun" himself near the opening from time to time.

They really like to do that in cold weather.

We've found or visited about a dozen or so natural tree holes occupied by Screech Owls in the last few years, so the wife could take pics.

Every one of them faced generally South and the Owls would regularly sun themselves to warm up. Never found one that didn't face afternoon sun ....more or less.

Maybe it would help to position the box openings that way.....don't know.

off topic but I have a bat house about 30 ft in the air, I take one of the old style clip on lights with the chrome reflecter on it and put it on my porch facing the yard ,it attracts the bugs and bats the swoop down close enough you can almost touch them, it's pretty cool, and the babies are cute little m'effers

They really like to do that in cold weather.

We've found or visited about a dozen or so natural tree holes occupied by Screech Owls in the last few years, so the wife could take pics.

Every one of them faced generally South and the Owls would regularly sun themselves to warm up. Never found one that didn't face afternoon sun ....more or less.

Maybe it would help to position the box openings that way.....don't know.

mine faces east, gets full sun up until late afternoon then all shade.  the last couple weeks the owl has been out during the day sunning itself, with its eyes closed for hours.  im hoping one day ill look and see a different color owl, or a 2nd owl flying up to it and feeding it.  would love to get a pair, and have the babies hanging around all spring and summer.  

GBG - looks like a red morph?  Cool.

I hear ours often, in the evening, and have seen him fly every evening (I have the box where I can see it from inside the house).  Almost like clockwork, about 15 minutes after official sunset.  Sometimes he seems to drop straight down, other times into nearby trees and once straight over the house.  Pretty neat.

its definitely a ginger, and it has started to sun itself within the last couple weeks.  part of me thinks(hopes) it isn't leaving the box because its sitting on eggs, but id think we would see the male coming to feed it?  and no droppings out side the box.  ive read more than I care to admit about screech owls, they never **** in their bed. 

post-9371-0-56767500-1490106536.jpg

mine faces east, gets full sun up until late afternoon then all shade.  the last couple weeks the owl has been out during the day sunning itself, with its eyes closed for hours.  im hoping one day ill look and see a different color owl, or a 2nd owl flying up to it and feeding it.  would love to get a pair, and have the babies hanging around all spring and summer.  

:th:  Even when it looks like they're sleeping, they'll take a peak now and then to keep tabs on you.......

post-18475-0-89797900-1490144587.jpg

sad news over the weekend.  I hadn't seen the owl for a few days after seeing it every day since the winter.  every once in awhile id look through the binoculars and think, hmm that one looks a little different.  then I saw a second head push it out of the way.  cool, we got 2 owls in the same nest, I don't think they go brokeback in the wild so its gotta be a mating pair.  I hadn't seen them in a few days, and figured this is right about the time where eggs should be hatching, so I go up the ladder all ninja like and stick my camera in there and say damn, well maybe next year.  do you guys usually clear the box out in summer then put it back up in late fall?  

are the eggs damaged? do you think something at the parents?

I didnt check the eggs. Figured I would leave the box alone for a few more days. I havent seen the owls in close to a week, I really doubt they are going hatch at this point im assuming the owls realized the same and left.