gradywhite3535

Striped bass decrease in Long Island sound

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have been fishing the Long Island sound and have noticed a huge decrease in striped bass. I've spent a lot of time fishing the west end of the sound and haven't caught many stripers. I fish with chunks on most occasions. How have you done with catching stripers of decent size of your fishing the sound?

This isnt a yes or no question...So many variables but i know theres plenty of big fish in the eastern part of the sound especially with chunks and live bunker.I fish on my boat in that area and depending on how much I can get out it seemed like there was big fish around all summer.

My home fishing waters, and my .02

Had those migrating fish in April decent showing of 2011 class fish and very good showing of 2014 class fish.

So there is some hope.

May, June were worse than when fishing used to be good, caught some fish but only a scattering and only smallish fish.

Most importantly the Blues were not around again this year in the early summer , mid summer .

I really feel at least for where I fish in western sound ( the Bronx) we need the blues to help the shore bite for bass.

Does that really mean when there is sufficient bait inshore and there is a consistent bass bite it's just coincide I think not.

Last year was an epic year for peanuts and large bunker and peanuts stayed thru the winter.

Last year there wasn't any sort of "good" inshore bass bite, there were bass in western sound just not inshore.

This year ( just recently) the blues are in feeding on the peanuts and the small bait , the bass fishing although not epic

Is at least respectable. I am not slamming 30s mind you but seeing better fish in that 10-15lb range, and there are some big blues around.

Hopefully we made enough of a conservation measure (1 @ 28) to allow the stocks to start healing.

Problem is, it's going to be a few years before we start to see some better fish and fishing to be more consistent

Everything is relative, there just aren't as many bass around and getting a bend in the rod will just have to be acceptable

Again just my .02

Edited by fishinthedark

i live near fort Totten,fishing got so bad i hung it up for 7 years for lack of fish.

25 years ago this area was full of schoolie bass,snappers and a decent amount of flounder---

this year we have blues,looks like one bass to 5 blues is the ratio.

I moved off of L.I. in 2012. Grew up fishing smithtown bay to rockypoint area, both beach and boat. Strictly surfcasted from 1996 until 2012.

Without a doubt, for me personally, numbers started to decline from 2006 on. That's surfcasting, cant speak for boat fishing because I sold my boat in '96.

This year by boat, throwing flies and artificialls, very close to shore though was by far better then the last two. May and June usually double digit quantity in a few hours early AM. Summer slowed but we had blues later half of August right to last Friday, the last time I made it out. So many huge blues I haven't even looked for bass this fall, although we took a few by catch among the blues. I know it's not your question but the top water bluefish bite has been off the hook out here. Big fish averaging 13# right up to 17+. This bite got going aaround Labor Day, although smaller ones around 8-10 were here in August.

Not sure if my bass go to's might be hot right now as we still have bait in the harbors.

I think it was better then the last few years. Unfortunately the YOTY index for 2016 was lower then normal.

Huntington area

Edited by brushfly

My home fishing waters, and my .02

Had those migrating fish in April decent showing of 2011 class fish and very good showing of 2014 class fish.

So there is some hope.

May, June were worse than when fishing used to be good, caught some fish but only a scattering and only smallish fish.

Most importantly the Blues were not around again this year in the early summer , mid summer .

I really feel at least for where I fish in western sound ( the Bronx) we need the blues to help the shore bite for bass.

Does that really mean when there is sufficient bait inshore and there is a consistent bass bite it's just coincide I think not.

Last year was an epic year for peanuts and large bunker and peanuts stayed thru the winter.

Last year there wasn't any sort of "good" inshore bass bite, there were bass in western sound just not inshore.

This year ( just recently) the blues are in feeding on the peanuts and the small bait , the bass fishing although not epic

Is at least respectable. I am not slamming 30s mind you but seeing better fish in that 10-15lb range, and there are some big blues around.

Hopefully we made enough of a conservation measure (1 @ 28) to allow the stocks to start healing.

Problem is, it's going to be a few years before we start to see some better fish and fishing to be more consistent

Everything is relative, there just aren't as many bass around and getting a bend in the rod will just have to be acceptable

Again just my .02

That's pretty much what I've seen when I fish with a friend in the Greenwich/Stamford/Rye area, and what he tells me that he's doing when I'm not around.  Only difference is that Greenwich had a good run of 2011s in mid-May--fish on every cast kind of good at some points.  I haven't been up there this fall, but he was plugging a few 20-pound-class fish before the latest weather blew in.

This has been an interesting season striper wise.  Because of a health BOO BOO issue,I have been fishing just 2x a week steadily.

However in early spring I scalped the fish. In july the stripers were small for me ,but i had ten-twenty a night in the back.

These were 22" fish and this lasted for two weeks.

In the rocks I probably averaged about 5 fish a night with a SKUNK thrown in every few times.

Since September, along the ocean sand, averaging about 3 fish a session with three nice blitz sessions thrown in.

Mostly a slow and unsteady pick and I am not chasing any reports or running the beach much.

So my numbers are better than last year and that's not saying much,because there are much less fish around than seven years ago.

But i have seen lots of small stripers and maybe 30 keepers this year at best.

Overall, I have to say that the fishing is much better than last year and with all these 22" stripers around,I believe next year will even be better.

The proofs in the pudding,I am fishing half as much as last year and I will probably have more stripers caught than I did in 2015.

I reside in western LI and there has been a ton of adult and peanut bunker around. The bass fishing for the summer was slow, but the bluefish were so abundant around these parts and they were all big fish also. Up until the last few days the blues have been massive and feasting on the peanut and medium sized bunker. I've only had about 3 28"+ fish 3 schoolie sized bass and that's only been in the last 2 days. I feel that since the blues are starting to move out the bass are starting to move in. I don't know for how long but hopefully the next couple weeks they'll be around and in larger #s. This is only my observation only, people may feel different

I also live in the western sound area and this spring for me was horrible striped basd wise. These last few weeks have been pretty decent i have to say. Dont want to give up spots because theres lot of people where i fish but they have all been close to shore, both from the surf and on my boat. There definitely is a decline as this fall was the first time in 2 years iv cught a bass without resulting on going on a party boat. Im sorry but i dont consider catching bass on a party boat to be reputable. Their there just gotta find them. I feel presentation is key along with others factors when bass fishing. Good luck out there.

Without a doubt there are a ton of bunker in my area and even peanut bunker. I mean at hide tide at my Marina it is literally packed with them.. And I have been catching Hughes blues from 14# all the way to 17#. We have been crushing the blues on the beach and boats but all I been hearing about. I do see the schoolie striped baass here and there but not many at all. It's really a shame. I'm in western sound by manhasset harbor to Hempstead harbor

Edited by gradywhite3535

Update Just fished the ns of western sound by where i live and got about a dozen schoolie bass. rain and east wind with a high tide must have been the trigger for these guys. I was using s school bus bomber a

I've been fishing the East River in NYC and have been doing surprisingly good, mostly shoolies up to 24-26" and one keeper, and in only a couple of hours of fishing I got one 26" in Little Neck Bay.