ct_domv

Surf Rods in the 9 ft length

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Ive been looking for a new rod and i usually fish bucktails from the 1/2-1.5 oz and poppers that are about 4 oz. I dont want a flimsy rod but i fished with the penn prevail 7 ft rod. Never had a issue with it but i love fishing little esuaires and also surf but cant see to find the right rod for the right price?? By the way....Striper fishing has been hot!!!!  

I usually fish 1/2-1 oz my self and use 7 foot rods. All the 8-9 surf rods I tried so far would not load well at 1/2-3/4, especially throwing plastics. I have a Penn Battalion 9' ML 1/2-2oz surf rod on the way. I hope I can finally settle on this "surf rod".

Edited by faithless

I usually fish 1/2-1 oz my self and use 7 foot rods. All the 8-9 surf rods I tried so far would not load well at 1/2-3/4, especially throwing plastics. I have a Penn Battalion 9' ML 1/2-2oz surf rod on the way. I hope I can finally settle on this "surf rod".Ya 

Ya and i honestly have not had an issue with my 7ft rod, but one if the eyes broke and ive had the rod for about 5 years and i want a change. I may just go to 8ft to play it safe. 

For the lighter end 9 ft st croix triumph is rated 1/2-2 1/2. Does alright with a 1/2 oz jig head and 30 lb pp. If your looking for a lighter surf rod check out the 8 ft tica dolphin. Ive gotten blues up to 15 lb on em and launches 1/2 -1oz jigs no problem.  I work 1-1.5 oz pencils with both and do great but your probably not gonna find any rod in the 8-9 ft range that will cover 1/2-4 oz. even the more moderate rods in that length are rated 3/4-4 and really do well 1-3 oz.

For the lighter end 9 ft st croix triumph is rated 1/2-2 1/2. Does alright with a 1/2 oz jig head and 30 lb pp. If your looking for a lighter surf rod check out the 8 ft tica dolphin. Ive gotten blues up to 15 lb on em and launches 1/2 -1oz jigs no problem.  I work 1-1.5 oz pencils with both and do great but your probably not gonna find any rod in the 8-9 ft range that will cover 1/2-4 oz. even the more moderate rods in that length are rated 3/4-4 and really do well 1-3 oz.

The last two sentences pretty much some it up.

You need to decide which end of the weight range you fish more and find more important in regards to the proper rod. Also price range you comfortable in spending, that way you'll get some better responses.

i looked at 9' penn prevail,super light and nice pole---i have a 9' tica so i resisted the urge to buy .i'd try the penn if something happened to the tica

ps throwing 4 oz with a 1-3 pole is a little ugly at best

Edited by jimmythe bee

i looked at 9' penn prevail,super light and nice pole---i have a 9' tica so i resisted the urge to buy .i'd try the penn if something happened to the tica

ps throwing 4 oz with a 1-3 pole is a little ugly at best

Ya sorry meant to say up to 2.5 oz lures. But will the 9ft penn prevail throw a bucktail thats 1/2oz or 3/4 oz well. But also throw up to a plug thats about 2 oz and still be able to work the plug and bucktail right? 

Your best bet is to stop by a local tackle shop or two and give them an idea of what you want to throw with this rod.  Bring the reel and plugs with you and get their insight.  This is what your local shops excel at.... you can get a ton of different opinions in an online forum.  Take a ride to a shop and test a few setup out with what you plan to fish....it's tough to beat the real world hands on experience. 

Your best bet is to stop by a local tackle shop or two and give them an idea of what you want to throw with this rod.  Bring the reel and plugs with you and get their insight.  This is what your local shops excel at.... you can get a ton of different opinions in an online forum.  Take a ride to a shop and test a few setup out with what you plan to fish....it's tough to beat the real world hands on experience. 

Ya thats a good idea. Already planned on going down to bass pro or cabelas friday to see what they got and get my hands on a ride and actaully feel what its like. 

Im pretty partial to the TFO 9ft. Its rated 1-5 oz. It throws the light stuff wonderfully as far as heavy ive gone as heavy as a 3oz needle and it handles it fine. Much more i dont know. I only fish it the spring time. The the bigger rod comes out.

Im pretty partial to the TFO 9ft. Its rated 1-5 oz. It throws the light stuff wonderfully as far as heavy ive gone as heavy as a 3oz needle and it handles it fine. Much more i dont know. I only fish it the spring time. The the bigger rod comes out.

I want a 8ft or 9ft thats not thick but still a medium or meduim heavy will all the power to throw small bucktails to 3 oz plugs

I want a 8ft or 9ft thats not thick but still a medium or meduim heavy will all the power to throw small bucktails to 3 oz plugs

Definitely check out the TFO. It is 9ft. But its a 2 piece rod 70/30 split.