Kooky

Coyotes

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Anyone else seeing a HUGE Boom in coyotes this year?  They have been howling, crying, and yipping every freaking night.  I normally hear at times in the fall and occasionally see a few, but it is every night and the pack sounds HUGE.  Had a couple during the full moon moving around in the shadows in my yard and was shocked at how big they are this year.  Neighbor found a half eaten deer in their yard a week or so ago, and most of the other deer seem to have vacated the area or been eaten.  Now every telephone pole has missing cat signs on them.  Just my area EG/WG or are others seeing this too?  Probably related to big turkey and deer populations of the last year or 2. Wife is afraid to walk the puppy after dark, which i understand.  

Edited by Kooky

I'm in EG area too, I haven't noticed more in terms of volume this year, but I did see a real big bastard stroll through my yard the other evening. If they are keeping the deer population down, fine by me, maybe I won't demolish my car on one this fall...

See them a lot in portsmouth. That pack howling at dusk is pretty creepy. Had a couple circling me one morning when I worked in Newport. They got brave and we're poisoned by a neighbor. Back when people handled those things on their own and didn't call then news...

1am out on the deck I hear them on my neighbors property , I guess he was up too, got awfully quiet after he blasted them.

Last year seemed worse ,around me any way.

Lots of random shots in the wee hours.

I think its there breeding season but i could be wrong . I walked out onto the beach in front of Taylors a few years ago and one was standing there i thought it was someones dog . 

I also heard something in the bushes at Weekapaug turned around and a Red Fox was watching me . I guess he was waiting for a free meal . I told him he was watching the wrong guy 

With the number of rabbits around, probably seeing an increase in the coyote population. I've seen them while walking in the early morning in the Westerly area, usually when it's foggy.

Saw a dead dog like animal on the side of the road I would assume it was a coyote but it was the size of a full grown husky. Same color as a coyote and everything. Last night a buddy calls and no more than a hundred yards from where I saw the dead one he saw one alive and thought it was a wolf. Not sure if any of you have seen the population gain in actual size and number. They both were not normal coyotes though I can promise you that

Saw a dead dog like animal on the side of the road I would assume it was a coyote but it was the size of a full grown husky. Same color as a coyote and everything. Last night a buddy calls and no more than a hundred yards from where I saw the dead one he saw one alive and thought it was a wolf. Not sure if any of you have seen the population gain in actual size and number. They both were not normal coyotes though I can promise you that

More then likely Yotes some do get a decent size but most are like a chocolate Lab or just above the knee and the look of a Husky .  I can't tell you the amount of times i have seen Deer in Vermont hunting and a Yote not 50 yards from it . I shoot everyone i see most of those deer are does and have a yearling walking with them 

Setting up the kayak in the dark on a beach a few days ago, I see what at first I thought was a cat streak across the trail and hide in some brush.  Come back from the last trip to the truck to find the kayak surrounded by canine tracks.  Looked like at least 3, I only saw one.  I was away from the yak for no more than three minutes.