Delaware river striped bass fishing

Rate this topic

Jim McFeeley

OK I'm obviously not that familiar with this area but I have heard that they can be targeted above there as well.

You can - above Trenton is non-tidal and below is tidal.  The traditional area to spring striper fish for the big cows is below the Trenton makes bridge.

If you can get out now it is a good time to scout - water is very low so you can really get an idea of where the channel is 

I have caught stripers throughout the river but above Trenton you will likely find much smaller bass  

I fish fine

look stupid 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I hear the delaware is starting to heat up... mainly in the lower delaware. The easiest way to catch them is on cutbait and bloodworms. You can catch them with lures as well but will be difficult. At low light condition can get them on small topwater plugs. During the day I would think a jig/bucktail with bloodworm trailer would do the trick.

Edited by cec127

Ridenfish what is your preferred method to target them in that area? I was going to try smaller plugs and maybe some swim shads.

Small plugs like an Xrap or the smaller Bombers. The small silver Xrap is the lure to use in the day, small black bombers at night. Before the epic rains we have been getting I was getting some nice Smallies, and I know for a fact that the Shad were being caught above New Hope in early March. Now it's going to be two weeks before the river gets back to being fishable. :(