nyynuge

Anyone Crush Barbs when going for Blackfish?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have a really hard time getting the hook out of blackfish, and I especially feel bad that they have been all shorts so far this season. Has anyone tried crushing the barb to make dehooking them easier?

No and never had an issue. I use Gami octopus most of the time.

Maybe try one of the unhooker tools if you have trouble.

The technical term is hook getter outer. 

+1

Never seen one with 2 bends in it. Must be twice as good!

And no, I don't crush barbs. Just yank the hook out.

The first bend closest to the shaft is for popping the hook out of a lip-hooked fish. The second bend is for pushing down on the hook when it's lodged further down the "throat" it's a vey handy and effective tool. Edited by PeterO

The first bend closest to the shaft is for popping the hook out of a lip-hooked fish. The second bend is for pushing down on the hook when it's lodged further down the "throat" it's a vey handy and effective tool.

where can i get that exact one?

where can i get that exact one?

I got mine at a fishing show in NJ a few years ago, and it just had a metal handle which I covered with hypalon so it looks like the one in the photo.  Google is your friend - fishing dehooker.  Our own C-fish posted about another style 11 years ago http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/15441-stop-killing-fish-you-release-new-dehooking-device/

Never thought about it until yesterday for tautog fishing.

Lost 2 nice fish right at my feet on the wharf I was fishing on.  Both times they dived down, changed direction quick, slack line for a split second and gone.

I loose a few fish in the rocks but very rarely 'pull out' in open water. Examining the hook after second fish, no barb, must have got crushed when removing from a previous fish.

Add this to the fact that the barb also keeps your bait from being lost/stolen, I would definitely say keep the barbs unless 100% catch and release.

IS it that difficult to remove hooks from fish that you guys need dehookers? OCtopus hooks couldn't be any easier to get out. Every so often one gets in there which is difficult to get out, but going barbless and carrying a dehooker is just on emore thing to drop over. Virginia hooks are difficult to get out of fish, if I go to help a customer who is using those hooks, I will let them figure ut how to get the hook out. Dehookers and Gammie hooks are a bad combo, along with pliers - it is the  mian reason why the hooks break

IS it that difficult to remove hooks from fish that you guys need dehookers? OCtopus hooks couldn't be any easier to get out. Every so often one gets in there which is difficult to get out, but going barbless and carrying a dehooker is just on emore thing to drop over. Virginia hooks are difficult to get out of fish, if I go to help a customer who is using those hooks, I will let them figure ut how to get the hook out. Dehookers and Gammie hooks are a bad combo, along with pliers - it is the  mian reason why the hooks break

I have been using that style of dehooker for more than two decades, dehooking countless fish (multiple different species) for myself and my clients... One of the best things of using that style of dehooker is most of the time you never touch the fish and in all that time I have never broken a hook... Now if you are using a true circle hook, then leave that style of dehooker in the bag...