salvadore33

penn 704z bailess problem.

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Heya fellas

I have a 704z. I have the bailess kit replacing the bail. it has 30 lb Kast king braid spooled on it. Im getting a bunch of wind knots and almost always have my line wrap up around the bail arm when casting plugs under 1 1/2 oz. its a complete nightmare when throwing plugs.

But when I use it to throw bait and 4oz sinkers i use a spool of 65 lb power pro. and its an absolute dream.

Im kind of perplexed because i originally bought this reel to cast plugs and now im too scared to risk casting anything other than a bomber with it.

what am i doing wrong? should i just use mono when it comes to throwing plugs

also have noticed the handle and rotor cup begin to turn in the middle of casting

For one the line should be 40 or 50, these reels don't have the best line lay and lite line will give you head acks, l use PowerPro had this reel for ever, no problem plugging with it that's all l do.

Post picture of line lay and pick up that you are using, that would help deter-min what your problem might be, lot of fisherman still using these reels today and plugging with them, most of the time a simple fix. Great reel and can take a beaten. 

Lets see what you have.

You cant put 30# line and think you can cast it like a long cast spool reel,not going to happen, and like the VS must be wound with a hump in the center, then from there on after it first cast it should be good from then on. That what works for me.

Edited by LB

What is the position of the rotor/spool/handle when you cast? The Handel should be down spool should be high and the pickup should be pointed forward. That will prevent the rotor from spinning causing the line to Catch the mpu.

Never had any wind knots and the reel casts plugs great but I too have had issues with the line lay. 30# braid laid horribly so I tried 30# mono and even though it got better it still didn't lay correctly

I have a Penn Staal I bought a few weeks ago, I spooled some 40# braid on it, the line lay looks perfect, as for the casting problems. I haven't been able to use it just yet, hopefully it should be OK

I use 20lb fire line and have no problems at all.

The line wrapping around the arm is common in the 704 bailless. You can train yourself to lay it on the roller without wrapping around the arm. Just takes some practice.

1/2 oz lures seem a little too light for casting with the 704. Until your line is worn in, try casting with heavier lures like 1oz+. Once your line loses some stiffness you can scale back down to lighter lures and see if you still get wind knots. The lightest I go on my 704z bailless with 20lb fire line is 3/4 oz

thanks for the response guys. i cant really take pictures of the line lay. i had since taken all the braid off and left the spool empty thinking i would have to go the mono root.

as for handle and rotor cup position while casting. the handle is always facing down. the bail arm is to the front but the spool always sits half way in the cup. i attempted to to take it apart last night to try and have the spool completely up when the handle is down but no success. I may have to dis-mantel and rotate gears by hand and re-assemble to achieve this.

Im guessing i have to put on high test braid to fix the wind knot issue? also how dose one achieve putting a bump in the line lay?

Thanks for all the suggestions 

Some guys pack the reel with grease to try and keep the handle from moving when casting. A bit odd though, I don't seem to have that problem though.

This and make sure you don't have too much line. All my penns puke wind knots until I lose about 50yds or so. I'd strip some off and try again.

This is how my reel puts line on never a wind knot 40 lb Power pro, yes the pick up arm is different, home made and line roller VS, pushed  arm out away from spool a little when l made it, with VS roller it was to close to lip of spool, never looked were the handle or spool was, just pick up line put line on finger and cast.

post-24656-0-59939700-1476919214.jpg

post-24656-0-89490900-1476919265.jpg

here is mine. also modified line roller. this is a prototype version that i am testing for a rod and reel service co. 304 stainless modified to accept the 706 roller.

post-52713-0-33114500-1476928521.jpg

post-52713-0-68120700-1476928567.jpg

Wow guys very impressive! Really digging the line roller mods. Yudi if you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on how you got the line roller to work on the 704 bail arm.

Wow guys very impressive! Really digging the line roller mods. Yudi if you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on how you got the line roller to work on the 704 bail arm.

It's not the 704 arm, it is manufactured to be basically the same, but it is a little longer (to handle the diameter differences between rollers) and the roller recess and mechanism to lock the roller in are mimicking the 706 attachment.  I originally was looking for ways to do this and had conversations with LB.  Eventually I got to the point where I realized I would need a Bridgeport at a minimum to do this and started to do some research. 

I found a machinist and fisherman who thought the idea to do this was great.  So we started working together on this, at this point what you see is still the prototype.  The plan is to increase the 304 thickness some (notice the washer) which will remove the washer and increase strength and decrease any flex (not that there seems to be an issue).  It currently also has the pin hole for the spring, but that is unnecessary, the arm doesn't have to be attached to the spring and be able to move.  So a pin may be put in to lock it in place.  That small hole for the spring would also end up increasing cost for no good reason as it takes a long time to put that in.  Getting the angle of the bend still need some process improvement and locking for control.  I had to tweak this one to get it right.

The machining isn't trivial, but the machinist I'm working with made a CAD model and he has CNC machines.

In the end, this will be packaged with the locking mechanism for the other side of the reel and make for a much nicer MPU option for 704 owners.  I cannot get you more information about this here, but it will become available for sale at some point later this fall I believe.  The machinist is working up the costs soon, I don't have that information, and even if I did I cannot post that here.  I will inquire with TimS about how maybe I can let others know about this and who to contact.