Vince C

Lure I'd help please

29 posts in this topic

I'm a beginner at this, but I have a plug that I can definitely identify as an Alou, and it has a left handed tail wrap like several of those shown. It seems to be a rather unusual and distinctive feature.

Congratulations, the mackerel is a Don Musso Conrad. Very , very rare. He and Dan Pichney were partners together for awhile and he painted some mackerel conrads in his own rendition. The jointed is a flat faced jointed eely another Pichney plug that is a rare find. Whew! The rest are Lupos and one Bob Hahn. Nice find!

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Always a pleasure to check out old tried and true lures! These guys certainly know better than I. I have to think that the middle one in the first picture is a Gibbs Pro Series Danny Surface Swimmer. The bottom one maybe a Chubb Creek.

The green mackerel one reminds me of someone's Tuna Candy but I've seen a couple try using that name...

Thanks for sharing and the rest sharing their knowledge!

Congratulations, the mackerel is a Don Musso Conrad. Very , very rare. He and Dan Pichney were partners together for awhile and he painted some mackerel conrads in his own rendition. The jointed is a flat faced jointed eely another Pichney plug that is a rare find. Whew! The rest are Lupos and one Bob Hahn. Nice find!

Thanks for you help, I knew I had them is a separate box and not with all the totes with the rest of my collection.

God Bless

Vince

Always a pleasure to check out old tried and true lures! These guys certainly know better than I. I have to think that the middle one in the first picture is a Gibbs Pro Series Danny Surface Swimmer. The bottom one maybe a Chubb Creek.

The green mackerel one reminds me of someone's Tuna Candy but I've seen a couple try using that name...

Thanks for sharing and the rest sharing their knowledge!

Not Gibbs or creek chub

There is no doubt that Steve is correct in his identification of all involved; the green mackerel is definitely a very rare Musso Conrad and the jointed is a Pichney eely, while the plug with the larger eyes is a Hahn and the others Lupo's, given away by their small, plastic bug eyes. These are all excellent plugs in their own right and an excellent assortment of classic striper plugs. Although the Lupo's were "manufactured" by a company in Connecticut (I forget the name off the top of my head), they definitely are part of the lineage started by Musso and Pichney as they made a deal with the latter to produce the troller and what came to be known as the Danny, a surface swimmer that became his signature plug. 

Peter I think you will find the answer is both of them "made the plug. I have one exactly like this. I took it to a show and asked Don to sign it. He looked the plug over and said he would not sign it because Danny made it but he painted the plug. The paint is distinctively Don Musso. Danny's green is much different. Back to my story. I then asked Don to sign the plug " painted by Don Musso" and he did just that. Back when these were made they made plugs together. Steve is correct very rare plug. This is the 4th one I know of

I'm surprised, Peter; I have never known you to be someone who likes to stir the pot.  :eek: Seriously, when I began to write about the Lupo's, I found myself stumbling over myself as I know that the surface swimmer plug design that they bought from Danny Pichney was/is called a "Danny," but then there is the information in the SWLCC library from Don Musso about the origins of this plug. If you want to stir things up, can you imagine doing a poll of who feels is the true originator of this plug design? That's something I would never touch; personally, I find it awfully difficult to find any "holes" in Don's version.