JohnP

Thinking Peanuts

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

We are almost at that point here on Long Island. Here's my current fav. 4 inch, craft fur tail, synthetic yak hair, EZ body. Feel free to post yours

post-238-0-30786100-1476468003.jpeg

Edited by JohnP

Gman you have to zoom out in your browswer (hold ctrl and hit -) to "see it all". 

Here is a cool peanut bunker recipe a beautiful fly that's fun to tie. These just look great sitting on your desk drying or in your fly box waiting to be fished. 

I like the reverse style of tying to get the large profile to stay large Just on the back though not the chin area.

http://www.panix.com/~pg/flyfishing/bunker.html

Hey Gilbey, the link to your Slab Fly SBS works, but the last couple of pics, including building and shaping the head and the finished fly, dropped out of your post.

Any chance you could post your version when you get time?

I like this pattern for largish peanuts (over 4 inches).  The heads are all Kinky Muddler style, but the tail/wing is different in each.  The top is a series of Hollow tied bucktail collars; the middle has layered bucktail tied in top and bottom with a topping of EP Gamechange Blend (kinda like a finer version of Farrar blend); and the bottom fly is all synthetic.  I actually caught bunch of bass on the bottom fly, then brought it home, cleaned it up and trimmed it.  It started at about 5-6 inches, but is down to 4-5!

post-4507-0-91161300-1478177102.jpg