redboy

plug components

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Just starting out turning my own plugs , can anyone recommend a good source for purchasing components (through wire etc)....

I found a site that has a starter kit to make 20 plugs for around $50 not sure if its good hardware or not..

thanks 

Edited by redboy

I think you aren't allowed to ask for specific stores. But one thing to look up is what gear you might want. 

Throughwire they say 316L 1/16" stainless steel is good for throughwire. There are some other kinds I am not familiar with but I think they are easier to work? Anyways, I got mine at the local welding store. 

Then on the plug you have grommets. Nose, belly, and tail. I bought all of my stuff many years ago. Somehow ended up with two types of tail grommets. Both are same diameter for the part of the grommet that goes into the plug. But the circular plate that rests against the plug is different. One has a smaller plate so good for smaller plugs that have narrower tails. The other one is wider by maybe a 1/4 inch and is good for bigger plugs.

One problem with the tail grommets: the part that goes into the plug...it does not fit into the tailweights I have. So I have to drill out the tail weight until the grommets fit. Not ideal, messy, and seems like waste of time.

So if u get tailweights for your pencils and what not you might want to inquire whether the grommets fit into the tailweight. Or u could just drill the plug out  a little deeper or do what I do. So things to think about. 

Maybe they sell grommets that don't have the ferrule or little pipe attachment that goes into plug. Would that work? 

Edited by Otshawytsha

I think you can do better than the kit.  I was looking around, you can get 100 bags of nose and tail grommets for 3.50 or something. And 50 packs of belly grommets for about the same. You can buy 100 pack of 15" prebent throuwghwire for 25.00. So I would keep looking. You can get a lot more stuff for $50 and none of this stuff is perishable so you buy it now it will be ready to go if you take ten years off between plugs.

The hard part I would say is knowing what size grommets to buy. Also you might want to call or ask around if the tail grommets fit inside the tailweights or not. If they don't fit inside the tailweight it's a prob. 

The other thing is what size swivels to buy. I bought the Rosco #1-#7. But I  have used almost only the #3 and #5. Might be a good idea to ask around and see about this. Because you might want to buy the 100 pack of the #3 and #5 and then a 25pk of the other ones. Depends on size lure you builds. Issues...

Tailweights are another thing. U could always buy small to start with and then put in another order later. 

Edited by Otshawytsha

(we don't promote or discuss them here) and Cape Cod Tackle both carry a good selection at good prices. If you let us know what plugs you plan to build and in what sizes we can help you narrow down the list.

Just google plug building supplies. I prefer the guys out of New Jersey myself. You might stumble on a particular "bugger", I dont buy from him because I met him at a fishing show and he said some stupid and some downright rude things.

(we don't promote or discuss them here) and Cape Cod Tackle both carry a good selection at good prices. If you let us know what plugs you plan to build and in what sizes we can help you narrow down the list.

going to be making 1.5 -3 ounce pencil poppers , needles some darters basically a little of everything..

I think you can do better than the kit.  I was looking around, you can get 100 bags of nose and tail grommets for 3.50 or something. And 50 packs of belly grommets for about the same. You can buy 100 pack of 15" prebent throuwghwire for 25.00. So I would keep looking. You can get a lot more stuff for $50 and none of this stuff is perishable so you buy it now it will be ready to go if you take ten years off between plugs.

The hard part I would say is knowing what size grommets to buy. Also you might want to call or ask around if the tail grommets fit inside the tailweights or not. If they don't fit inside the tailweight it's a prob. 

The other thing is what size swivels to buy. I bought the Rosco #1-#7. But I  have used almost only the #3 and #5. Might be a good idea to ask around and see about this. Because you might want to buy the 100 pack of the #3 and #5 and then a 25pk of the other ones. Depends on size lure you builds. Issues...

Tailweights are another thing. U could always buy small to start with and then put in another order later. 

that's the problem i'm having knowing what size to get (main reason why i was going to get the kit). The frustrating part it seems that most online places have no contact number to get the right stuff 

that's the problem i'm having knowing what size to get (main reason why i was going to get the kit). The frustrating part it seems that most online places have no contact number to get the right stuff 

If you're doing pencil popper the tailweight issue and the tail grommets fitting inside the weights are of key importance. Yes, it's hard to research especially because they don't want some palces discussed here. So hard. In a worst case, you can drill out the tailweights to make the grommets fit in them. That is what I have had to do. It's not the worst thing, takes a couple minutes per weight...also you can easily buy a full range of tail grommets for like $10. But buying the tailweights is more difficult because more expensive. 

The thing about the kit. You might only get a couple tailweights and grommets in there that are useful, then you'll have to buy more to finsih your plugs. 

Edited by Otshawytsha