fishtoolittle

Comedy of errors - albie trip. Who has experienced mishaps?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So far this year has been a year of firsts. 

I don't get out to fish much but late summer in a trip to the Caymans I caught my first ever bonefish.

I always wanted to fish for albies.  Had shots off the beach but never hooked up.  My buddy Stan convinced me to take a charter.  Last week we hired Joe Blados, the famous crease fly guy, out of Mattituck.  All I can say is wow!

The trip was awesome.  We were into fish 15 minutes after launching and all day with very little lulls. The trip however was not just a first for catching fish, it was a total comedy of errors on my part.  I have not been fully in the game for a while, however I was a total noob all day. 

First, while fighting an albie, my top 2 pieces of my rod came undo and I fought the fish with 1/2 a rod until Joe was able to grab the tip and put it back.  Disaster avoided.

As if I didn't take enough for that 1/2 hour later the reel knob came off my Lamson mid way through batte. post-73037-0-40061400-1476212629.png  I had to hand line the fish the rest of the way. post-73037-0-51560700-1476212649.png Thats the reel knob I'm holding in my teeth.  My fingers are still ripped up. 

Overall it was a fantastic day.  I caught 8 fish, losing many other (i didn't lose the ones with the mishaps :howdy: .  My buddy caught equal amount. post-73037-0-57234600-1476212672.jpeg

The fish got finicky in the afternoon and dropping to 12# leader did the trick. 

I had a blast.  Thanks again Joe for a great day of firsts for me.post-73037-0-35549800-1476212729.jpeg

Anyone have this many mishaps on one trip?? 

Keep telling myself I am just out of sync and need way more practice fishing :wee:

i have had a line break in half mid cast.  Broken a rod while double hauling.  Kicked a very expensive rod and reel off a boat accidentally into water too deep to retrieve.  Waited for tarpon for 4 hours, applied sunscreen for 30 seconds and three all of the sudden swam by and I did not see anymore for another 2 hours.  Set the hook too hard on an over 10lb albie and bent the hook out.  And the best is the first Tarpon I ever hooked which was probably 60lbs I was using the guides rod which had a reel setup right hand wind and I fish left hand wind, I reeled the wrong direction and created a birds nest and snapped the tarpon off.

Dont even get me started on how many times I have fallen in the river trout fishing.

I have been at this sport consistently for probably 17 years and the follies never stop no matter how dialed in i think i am.

enjoy the ride

Kerry

Had one day out this summer where one lure was the only thing they wanted. Of course I only brought one and no local shops carried them (or were open at 5am when I started).

Guess what the first fish of the day did...35" fish grabbed it at my feet and snap, swam away with my lure. The best part was that the jig was maybe 15 ft away from me at the bottom of 10 ft of water in the current. Not a chance of getting it.

Went the entire rest of the day with similar jigs and only got 2 dinks with my effort. The week before with the same one yielded 25 fish up to 35".

Hmm where to start... Had a super expensive fly outfit fly off the boat while chasing albies only to get caught on my back cleat!! Amazing luck since I didn't notice until I was going full speed! .... Fished all evening in the barnegat bay for stripers (nothing) then tried out my friends rod and landed a 38 inch weakfish on the second cast! Could have been a world record... Was fishing for bluefin off RI only to have a white Marlin come up right behind the boat. all I had was a small epoxy fly / no interest (did get my first and only bluefin tho literally blind casting in the middle of the ocean. You can imagine the suprise!) ... Handed my fly rod to my mom to reel in a striper and she let go of the rod! I caught it in mid air (and somehow got it all on camera).... Had a spin fishing friend lose his last deadly dick on a pot at the west wall and swam out to remove it (one of those crazy Albie days)....And about a month ago I was fly fishing for albies when two sailfish (i moved to florida a few years ago) followed in a small skipjack my friend had on. Tiny epoxy fly issue (AGAIN lol). It's amazing the things that can happen (good and bad) when you get out there and start casting!!!

Edited by flyfishfortuna

A few weeks ago I had two good friends out on the boat for a day of albies. First guy hooks a fish and fights it to the boat. I landed it and gave it to him for a quick picture. He leans over the side of the boat to release it and his iPhone falls out of his shirt pocket into the drink.

Next guy up hooks one and fights it to the boat the other guy was helping him leader it at boatside. He leaned over to get a look and fell right out of the boat. I got his hand and took his rod and handed it to the other guy.

I had to rig a quick rope ladder to get him back in. Handed him his rod back and landed the fish, got a quick pic and release.

Crazy day.

I was uber careful to mind my fly lying in the water while releasing a fish because we were joking how we have seen fish hit the lure dangling in the water and take the whole outfit.  The way the day was going I was not going to fall victim to that.

Who hasn't had a mishap anything that can go wrong will lol Like line flying out of basket only to ball up and jam in guides!

had a bad one this year in RI would not go through guides at all! fish kept pulling going nowhere I was waiting for leader to pop never did!

landed the fish fly line cracked..

Went to salmon river. It was pretty cold that day but not horrible. Got to the spot really early so I'd get a good position before people showed up. Sunrise came and fishing was allowed so I set down my coffee and waded in to get it on. First cast. My spool knob popped off and my spool fell in river. After 20 min of pulling on the line to get it back (couldn't see it) luckily I got the knob right by my feet. I spoiled all my line back on and went in for another try. Just after I cast and start drifting my jig........ I go to take a step forward just as a big dead salmon hits my leg that I was standing on and it wipes me out. I fell face first into the water and my waders totally filed up with water. Huge mess. Everyone there was just staring at me like I was the big clown of the day. lol needless to say. No fish were caught that day.

and i thought i was the only fishing clown in the northeast.

yesterday i caught a seagull,so at least i didn't get skunked!

told my son to come and film me and we'll be youtube millionaires