gradywhite3535

Replacement hooks for lures

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have a few lures that need there hooks replaced and some need a single hook. I want to replace most lures that have multiple hooks with a single hook. What are the single hooks called that I can use for poppers, diamond jigs and other metal lures that I have and size? Also what treble hooks do you use and what size? Thank you

Some of the single hooks are open eye Siwash good for metals and back hooks. I use the new Owner inline hooks now for a single. Just make sure you put them on right. For trebles the 9625 short shanks from VMC is the most used.

Gradywhite, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread. If so let me know and I'll remove it. I'm actually really glad this thread was posted. I want to replace some hooks as well but didn't know where to start. What size hooks/rings do you guys use on full size bombers?

Gradywhite, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread. If so let me know and I'll remove it. I'm actually really glad this thread was posted. I want to replace some hooks as well but didn't know where to start. What size hooks/rings do you guys use on full size bombers?

9626 2/0

Tail hooks can be tricky. Depending on the orientation if the tail eye on the plug, you might need one or two split rings with a siwash..and the rings need to be sized correctly so the hook or ring doesn't bind up on the eye. Some tail eyes can be rotated so that the hook is oriented correctly...point down..like on a thru-wired metal lip swimmer. Other plugs like bombers and salt pros you cannot twist that eye.

The inline seem to simplify things...I only did one or two plugs with those...they seemed expensive. Whatever...make sure you sharpen points, even new, so that when you lightly drag the point across your thumbnail...it "sticks". And consider crushing barbs on trebles.

I'm slowly figuring this out for myself so don't take it as gospel..just my experience.

Edited by blackdogfish

VMC for trebles and open eye siwash. For most tins I use Eagle Claw 254ss O'Shaughnessy (354ss is the same hook, considered a trot line hook with a bigger eye for larger split rings)

I am a new member here.  Just curious if any of you have tried inline single hooks for speckled trout?

The use of inline singles has been a well discussed subject. Do a search and you will have your answer. There is no reason why they wouldn't work for trout.

I primarily use gama ewg #6- #2 trebles .  I plan on to try more singles so thanks for the ideas.  Definitely be better on released fish even though I bend most of my barbs down anyway.

Wow great info, I love this site. And of course I don't mind if anyone asks a question because it will help out others. So the single hooks used on lures such as poppers, darters metal lips and diamond jigs can all use the same single hook? Are they called inline hooks or siwash? Also for size can I use the same ones for all my lures so i don't have to buy multiple boxes or smaller lures will need smaller hooks? Thank you

Many small to medium sized plugs like SPs are designed for 2/0 trebles. Larger plugs will have 3/0. If you stocked those two sizes you'd be good. If you change something from the way it was manufactured you should test it out in the day when you can see the action. Changing hook sizes will frequently change the action.