Mike

Blackfish Reports 2016-2017

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

It's about time for a new thread. NY is catching and the place that shall not be named is giving up toglets.

Hope everyone has a great togging season!

Hit the tourist spot again on this past rainy Sunday morning.  Caught em well again but all shorts.  Since I didn't do any fluke bucktailing this year, had to settle for this:

post-1698-0-06791100-1476300064.jpg

Savage CnR bite in Monmouth County yesterday.

Kept a 7 lber, but it was non stop for 4 hours with quality fish.  I think I fished the same 10 foot area the entire time.  Think we had one short all morning.  Came back for every piece of crab left on the hook, running off with the baits.

Amazed at the number of boats togging already though.  Looked like opening day.

Guess it's going to suck when NJ starts blackfishing in another month since NY is keeping all these fish.

I hope there are some left inshore in a month, I plan on launching some raids on the pool toy. 6 at 15" is too hard to resist.

it's mostly nj boats playing catch n release

True, at least where I was.  Further north I'm sure the NY head boats are making their appearance.

Got to wonder about CnR mortality with these fish though and hi grading going on.  Odd how the keeper blackfish you see in some charter reports are all the very nice sized ones...

Edited by bido

True, at least where I was.  Further north I'm sure the NY head boats are making their appearance.

Got to wonder about CnR mortality with these fish though and hi grading going on.  Odd how the keeper blackfish you see in some charter reports are all the very nice sized ones...

I'm fairly certain the CnR mortality rate for tog caught in less than 50 feet of water is quite low.  A few years back we caught one that had long since recovered from what was most likely a spear wound.  He was named Lucky and released.  Over the course of the next several hours he was nice enough to grace our baited hooks two or three more times!  That's one that was easily recognizable so one would have to figure it's a lot more common than you might think.