SaltyNJ

October 2016 fishing reports

Rate this topic

1,180 posts in this topic

first report in a long time.  this moring 0400-0800.  missed 1 in the dark on a yellow SP.  as dawn approached rain bait was visible in the wash as well as some swirls.  hickory shad and small blues were tearing them up as well.  landed 1 30" bass on a swimmer.  then off to work a little late.  back at it saturday.

out front this morning north oc 530-730am. light nw breeze, clear sky, crystal clear  flat water, small bait in the lip occasionally harassed by small predators. possibly bunker breaking the surface out of reach. not a tap on sp , surfster, or fly.

gonna drift some eels in the back tonight. hope to break this 7 outing skunk. 

exciting to see some of ya'll are catching!

Out front in oc 3-6pm not as much rain bait as the past couple days . Threw shad , sp and some tin with no luck. Gonna try the kayak tonight in the back. Try the beach again at dawn hopefully the weather will hold of til then.

Last night, MoCo, 2-1/2 hours of fishing after work, a conservative estimate was 100 kabillion pieces of small bait - bay anchovies?- everywhere in sight, and birds, and finally had a 10 minute window of bass crashing the bait RIGHT ON THE BEACH....I can not emphasize how tight the fish were, fish I caught was 1 foot into the water 5 feet to my side. Could have just ripped the fish onto the beach, instead, let him swim around a bit.....nice fish, 30" and well fed, he came home for dinner. Maybe a dozen fish caught, then it was over, at least for the half hour I stayed trying to raise another fish. I generally hate all that little bait, but last night worked out.

Nice job Ed. They have been tough to find lately even with all the bait around.

Skunked on grandpas boat this morning. Drifted spots out back with a few other boats. Didn't see any nets in the water. Lotta bird action out front which we pursued for a short time. Nothing hitting underneath them which was surprising. Couldn't tell what they were diving on. Anybody ever put out live spots from shore? Have three left over and I'm debating going out front or out back n throwing one out there before I just let them go?

NoMoCo this afternoon,1-5 , tons of very tiny rainbait getting harassed by hickories,small blues and flounder . It was cool watching multiple flounder in the wash chasing bait . Only saw one striper get caught by a fly fisherman .

Hit outfront  MoCo. 4:30-6:30.pm.  Lots of fisherman (most i've seen in years) but no fish.  Some small bait in the wash but very quiet overall.

Posted (edited)

MoCo out front, my buddy got a 20# on a popper, that was the only hit between us lol. 

Losta small bait, some large pods of bunker about 150 yard offshore.  Saw what looked like albies blowing up something for about 15 seconds about 100 yards off the beach, then they were history. 

Edit: 20# was released.  :howdy:

Edited by Danny1199

CMC tonite mid-tide. Spent an hour walking trying to find a spot my SP wasnt dragging the bottom. Skunk and pissed about my choice. Thanks ACOE. Another dead zone.