t0phtrt

Metal Lip Durability

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have warped numerous metal lips on my plugs mainly from fishing inlet jetties. Can anyone recommend some good builders whose lips really hold up well? I guess BM is a given.

i have many 20+ year old metal lip plugs still in rotation and cant say iv'e had any destroyed beyond repair?? Old Atom 40's,Gibbs dannys,Beachmasters,Lupos..they have been thrown from jettys on long beach/WE2,Shinny,Moriches and shallow boulder fields and i don't ever remember one that needed lip-replacement,guess ive been lucky?

The beauty of metal lips is that they're easily re-shaped with a pair of pliers. Let 'em get bent from fishing hard and just put them back to where you want them. Easy easy.

-Valentine

Edited by valentine

I’d rather not say which ones, as it was probably my fault not theirs. Valentine, I'm learning to do that now.

Just thought maybe there might be some variation on the strength of the metal btw brands/builders, as Zeno Hromin sort of alludes to in The Art Of Surfcasting With Lures, p157 if anyone has it.

Some builder do custom lips like Bobby (BM) and Gary (GRS) but most guys buy lips from a supplier. Most are made with the same guage metal,some are thicker but if you can't keep your plug from slamming into rocks,it doesn't really matter . Try to change how you fish them or throw something more durable

Big Rock spoon lips are without doubt the strongest lip out there. I believe he has them stamped out custom.

thank you ill lookout for them.

What's more annoying is if the lip Is loose from banging around; two tiny holes in the chin through the lip pinned with pieces of plug wire glued In and no more loose lips...

rocks are hard nothing we fish with is rock proof,hit rocks and whatever it is will be damaged.

you need to bend it back to keep it useable that's all there is to it.

no other plug is gonna be rockproof,thats why rocks are there so long,they are hard.

H-H