charliestriper

Man freed after getting head stuck in R.I. jetty while fetching phone

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

"AP  

SEPTEMBER 19, 2016

NARRAGANSETT, R.I. (AP)

man who got stuck head-first between two rocks on a Rhode Island jetty while trying to retrieve his cellphone has been rescued with the help of olive oil. 

Authorities say the man dropped his phone and got stuck up to his chest when he bent down to retrieve it

WJAR-TV reports  it happened Saturday afternoon near a fishing area in Point Judith.

Narragansett firefighters and environmental police spent most of the afternoon trying to free him before the tide came in. After about 2 ½ hours, they were able to remove him with the help of olive oil.

The man went to a hospital to be treated for hypothermia and a small injury to his foot."

- The Boston Globe 9/19/16

I was about to start out onto the West Wall late Saturday afternoon when I saw a group of paramedics and firemen carrying someone in on a stretcher.  I asked one of the fireman who was waiting for them to finish the last 30 yards if someone had been injured. He said "Yeah" but did not elaborate.

Just found out what had happened.

Did they save his phone?

I certainly hope so.

As it is, there already is one gap in the West Wall.

I'd hate for that cell phone to explode and cause another one.

your-smart-phone-is-set-to-self-destruct

As for me, I keep my cell phone in the waterproof pouch at the top of my waders. 

I've taken the precaution of thru wiring my school bus colored cell phone McKenna style.

That way if I ever lose my surf bag way out on the wall, I can direct tie my phone to the leader, and fish it like a pencil popper.

cartoon_school_bus_case_mate_ipod_touch_

Edited by charliestriper

I always wear korkers out onto the walls. That way I can have reasonable footing in my perch on a rock at low tide, or going down to pull up a fish.

But the metal studs aren't the best for walking on the dry rock. (Although the dry rocks usually have a rough grain that lets the studs have reasonable traction.)

Anyone else have a better footwear alternative for the walls?

FB article explained that they got the oil from iggys....someone in the comments said, it was the oil from one clam cake :laugh:

More than enough oil from even one of their smaller clam cakes. 

fried-fritters.jpg

(I once thought I found a piece of clam in one of their clam cakes.  I still wonder what it was.  Hair net?) 

China man dropped an undersized scup in the rocks and went in after it! anyone ever see Enviro cops on wall?

Man they could make a ton of money on these guys keeping shorts!

China man dropped an undersized scup in the rocks and went in after it! anyone ever see Enviro cops on wall?

Man they could make a ton of money on these guys keeping shorts!

No, but I talked to a cop that was called to Weekapaug for a report of one short fluke. After he interrogated me to ensure I was not the felony fluker, we got to talking. I was like, well uh thanks for running all the way over here just for some called in rept by John Q Fisherman... but I've never even seen you guys on the WW. Why? Wouldnt you just set up shop over there? Place is ground zero in shorts'ville. He said some other guy was on that 'beat'and might head over at some point.

No, but I talked to a cop that was called to Weekapaug for a report of one short fluke. After he interrogated me to ensure I was not the felony fluker, we got to talking. I was like, well uh thanks for running all the way over here just for some called in rept by John Q Fisherman... but I've never even seen you guys on the WW. Why? Wouldnt you just set up shop over there? Place is ground zero in shorts'ville. He said some other guy was on that 'beat'and might head over at some point.

Yeah right. :waiting:

-bd