BigRock

Surf jackets

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So what splash jackets are you guys recommending for the surf? My Grundens anorak has had it, and I almost swallowed my tongue seeing prices for some of the new gear.

Guy Cotten SURF 800 Series

Pricey, However well maid

I wear a LLBean wading jacket. Every couple of years it needs to be treated with Nik Wax. Closes up tight in down pour,unzips for ventilation. Plenty big for fleece and heavy shirts so it is warm in winter. Several pair of gloves and a balaclava fit in the oversize pockets.

Unfortunately that one didn't last very long. One bad fall in Montauk wearing it over a wetsuit and there was a foot long vent in the back...not a good night

Ouch, Need some advise from a fella wet suiter. You just need a wind break, and not one that set's you back $250

Edited by Lou T

Storm looks good but never fished with it.

I love my hyper flex playa. I wear it with waders but comes into its own on a chilly night over a wetsuit.

If something happens to it I'll probably buy another.

Fwiw They tend to run small, but you don't want a 'roomy' jacket if you are wetsuiting.

I have put a lot of miles on a grundens Sund. Not a "technical" garment, and i dont love the way the hood never fits right, but that is a great bulletproof top that is reasonably priced. Mine is still going strong after maybe 5 years. I'm going to use it as my boating jacket

I just bought a hyper flex playa this year and am very satisfied with it so far after just a couple of outings. Really nice if you like neoprene. Also reasonable money

When I'm gonna go swimming or know I'm getting hammered by waves I wear a kayak semi dry top by extrasport that was like $40 on closeout. I think you can always find good deals on the kayak brands