How long does it take to build a house?

Rate this topic

Fly By Nite

A neighbor tore down their Sandy damaged home and is rebuilding a new custom single family...Garage, 2 floors, and a 3rf floor loft.  The builder has been slowly chipping away at it since October of 2015.  They just delivered the sheet rock yesterday.  Seems like they hammer in a nail and then go away for a week, come back hammer a nail, and so on.  The builder is doing good work just taking way too long.  How long does it take to build a home, on average? 

A neighbor tore down their Sandy damaged home and is rebuilding a new custom single family...Garage, 2 floors, and a 3rf floor loft.  The builder has been slowly chipping away at it since October of 2015.  They just delivered the sheet rock yesterday.  Seems like they hammer in a nail and then go away for a week, come back hammer a nail, and so on.  The builder is doing good work just taking way too long.  How long does it take to build a home, on average? 

I talked to a builder once about why a custom job was taking so long.  He blamed the owner... owner's wife, actually.  He said every decision took about 4 weeks.

We have a house going up here in the neighborhood that meets your description.  Started beginning of August.  Looks about 85% completed.

Hmmm.....got one goin' up by me for 3 yrs now......lot was +5Mil. .....guess it depends.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

"Two weeks."

I just watched Money Pit the other night, forgot how funny it was.

I've seen McMansions go a decade before getting done. After Sandy, alot of folks got caught in snafus between the state, and insurance companies that have delayed work in many stages. Too many to count around here. I won the bid for a nice deck on a place just near me awhile back.. A cobbled together old shack, but a 1/2 million dollar lot on the bay. Raised up after Sandy, with all poles set for the extensive deck. Permit and zoning issues have taken over now, and the job sits... Two years now.

Other Sandy stuff, I finished a whole mess of brandy new modular homes on poles before Memorial Day last year. So count that as 1 1/2 years,... to build a house"

Also, we once did an add-a-level in seven days.... lolol

"Two weeks."

I just watched Money Pit the other night, forgot how funny it was.

I've seen McMansions go a decade before getting done. After Sandy, alot of folks got caught in snafus between the state, and insurance companies that have delayed work in many stages. Too many to count around here. I won the bid for a nice deck on a place just near me awhile back.. A cobbled together old shack, but a 1/2 million dollar lot on the bay. Raised up after Sandy, with all poles set for the extensive deck. Permit and zoning issues have taken over now, and the job sits... Two years now.

Other Sandy stuff, I finished a whole mess of brandy new modular homes on poles before Memorial Day last year. So count that as 1 1/2 years,... to build a house"

Also, we once did an add-a-level in seven days.... lolol

the whole thing with permits is it's sitting on someones desk. There just to lazy to look at it. Took my grandmother a year to get a permit for a 12x20 deck down the cape. She called once a week until they finally gave in to her. 

Don't think this is a financial or otherwise zoning related delay. If it was we wouldn't see the builder for weeks or months. But he comes, pops in a few nails, and then comes back a week later. Deathly slow progress. Can't imagine what the homeowners feel considering they are finally at the finish stage and it's still got a ways to go.

Don't think this is a financial or otherwise zoning related delay. If it was we wouldn't see the builder for weeks or months. But he comes, pops in a few nails, and then comes back a week later. Deathly slow progress. Can't imagine what the homeowners feel considering they are finally at the finish stage and it's still got a ways to go.

I obviously dont know any parties or details, but from my side, it could be someone dragging the builder thru hell. Dribs and drabs of money dont get real chit done.

I obviously dont know any parties or details, but from my side, it could be someone dragging the builder thru hell. Dribs and drabs of money dont get real chit done.

nope, it doesn't. One of my dad's best customers, a big 6k custom built house he did back in 1990. He was at his house for 13 months, never had to ask for a check once, not once. You couldn't have asked for a better customer. 

If the builder is not getting his scheduled payments. Hes not going to work.
BARRELL

Building a house takes a lot of coordination. Everything has to come together and all it takes is one guy to screw up the works.

I did my "renovation" in 5 months but in reality it took a little longer. I was on top of every detail and scheduling issue, to the point of renting a uhaul truck to go pick up my door slabs at the trucking depot so as not to delay the finish carpenters.

On the other hand I have a client building a 4mm monster house who is at 2 years with more to go. His project manager is a retired architect and builder who does nothing but supervise this job. The finish details are exacting.

#otterlivesmatter

Building a house takes a lot of coordination. Everything has to come together and all it takes is one guy to screw up the works.

I did my "renovation" in 5 months but in reality it took a little longer. I was on top of every detail and scheduling issue, to the point of renting a uhaul truck to go pick up my door slabs at the trucking depot so as not to delay the finish carpenters.

On the other hand I have a client building a 4mm monster house who is at 2 years with more to go. His project manager is a retired architect and builder who does nothing but supervise this job. The finish details are exacting.

I built a 2million dollar house in 9 months. From breaking ground till the time they moved in. It was a 6500 sqrft shaker style house. Building a house is easy, doesn't matter the size. But it does take coordination and really good subs that are on par with you. Some of my subs have been with me for 20 plus yrs. 

what a good way to find a "good" builder?

this sounds stupid but... does it matter? seems around here (NE Bergen County) the guys you meet are one thing, the guys on the site are the usual day laborers who are actually swinging the hammers...

looking to do a teardown and rebuild soon of my family house.

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!