EricJ

Largemouth Bass Rod Selection

32 posts in this topic

So far as accuracy goes on the 8.1 tailwalk has been a struggle. Imo I will get better with practice I hope. When I do hit my target it does feel great. The short sticks that I use currently for small water has always been dead on. I can hit a quarter from 60ft with a 1\32 jig head. I have noticed the longer fishing rod does increase the lure movement with little effort.

accuracy with the tailwalk solid tips (same with the megatop daiwa rods)  takes practice.  Try to cast it like it doesn't have that red section.  Because what ends up happening...when you start to push the cast.  That tip gives up and transitions about a foot down.  

accuracy with the tailwalk solid tips (same with the megatop daiwa rods)  takes practice.  Try to cast it like it doesn't have that red section.  Because what ends up happening...when you start to push the cast.  That tip gives up and transitions about a foot down.  

Thanks for the pointer..... I will try that next time Im out with it

New member to this forum and just  trying to get involved .  I am very partial to a 7' or longer rod. I am 6'1" and most of my bass rods are 7'3" - 7'11" in length. However, for some tight places like fishing in the river with floating worms or small floating stick baits  I drop down to a 6"9" and that seems perfect for me.  If on lake dragging a football jig I go with the 7'6" and deep diving cranks I use the 7'11" .  Once you go to a longer stick it is hard to go back under 7'! I will say that a 7'3' MH with a fast tip would be my choice if I only had 1 rod to fish with, it is  just good all around. 

Longer rod allow better hook set since the swing arc is much larger. I tend to fish longer rod now. Non of my rods are below 7ft now.  What you are looking for is a fast action rod with a flexible tip. Stay away from extra fast action rods as they don't bent much in the tip section.  Longer rod also allow a much more gradual increase in power so the tip will feel softer than it's shorter counter part.  To simply you question, just swipe one of two of scooby setup when you are with him. lol

LOVE IT, JUST LOVE IT

okie angler

well, Gentlemen, I did it. Bought the 10 ft bonehead.  My fever got so high that I simply could not walk out of the store,

and leave my sooper baby calling softly to me.

and there you have it.

I think t can go bait casting or spinning.

I do betrter with bait cast.

But I can learn, i can learn4

(I hope)

okie

thank you for such great information. Really great.

okie angler

Oh by the way, scooby doo's santa helper causes my blood pressure to go off the chart . My wife, bless her sole,

one night she aske me----let's see whjat oi she answer me?

I use a St Croix, 7'11", "Big Cranker" rod that was built from a blank. Put a Shimano Canaen reel on it and can toss weightless swimmers and senkos without a problem. It has become my favorite bass rod, plenty of backbone and a nice tip, makes casting easy.  Really like that rod, wish they made it without the split grip.

For topwater, I use a 6ft rod that was built for me by a friend, and as was said before, the shorter rod loses some distance, but is more accurate.

For large lakes,and res I'm fishing 7'gloomis for bass most of the time fast action med light. For smaller areas 7' fast action med avid. When fishing very large swimmers 9' mh lamiglass.  

Hi, okie here, I been considering same or similar questions Eric J asked. I notice you use diferent rod type materials in different types of water. I had never thought of that. I recently bought a 10ft bass rod, MH, which seems to fit the description of fast tip and back bone down below. I can get the actual specs on it, tonight and send tomorrow to see what you guys think. I have used it a little, and it is different casting the 10ft compared to the 6ft 6" MH. 

thanks for any suggestions

okie

If you can only have one rod, I'd say get a 7', Med Heavy rated for 10-17 lb line, fast action.  That's a good general purpose bass rod and nearly all brands will have one with those specs.

Hi, okie here, I been considering same or similar questions Eric J asked. I notice you use diferent rod type materials in different types of water. I had never thought of that. I recently bought a 10ft bass rod, MH, which seems to fit the description of fast tip and back bone down below. I can get the actual specs on it, tonight and send tomorrow to see what you guys think. I have used it a little, and it is different casting the 10ft compared to the 6ft 6" MH. 

thanks for any suggestions

okie

Yeah, i really like a stiffer blank like st croix makes for close quarter fishing. For a rod that fits med distance and can do a little bit of everything g-loomis just makes incredible blanks. For fishing distance just like a more parabolic rod like a lami that can handle casting heavy weight as well. Remember I'm a shore fisherman as well so boat guys might have different thoughts but thats where I'm coming from.

Edited by sandbars

Yeah, i really like a stiffer blank like st croix makes for close quarter fishing. For a rod that fits med distance and can do a little bit of everything g-loomis just makes incredible blanks. For fishing distance just like a more parabolic rod like a lami that can handle casting heavy weight as well. Remember I'm a shore fisherman as well so boat guys might have different thoughts but thats where I'm coming from.

thanks

okie

My favorite set up is a 7'3" Big Bear MH Baitcasting rod with a Lew's BB-1 pro speed spool 7.7:1 reel. Great drag on the reel and a solid rod to get the fish out of any situation. *

Edited by Accebere
Please don't promote commercial websites here, thanks.

Some off my go-to set-ups - I tend to purchase mostly middle-of-the-road in terms of quality:

Cranking

St. Croix Mojo Bass Glass (Crankster)  7'4" M / M w/ Revo SX 7.1:1; long rod, slightly stiffer tip than a lot of crankbait rods, which I like; a lot of people like a slower reel for cranking, but I like to get it down into the zone as quickly as possible, then slow it down. 

Swimbaits / A-Rigs

GLoomis E6X SWB 7'4" H / MF w/ Shimano Curado 300E; usually spooled w/ 20lb PLine CXX mono

Multi-use - soft plastics, spinners, chatterbaits, jigs

GLoomis GL2 6'8" M / F w/ Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool LFS & 8 - 10 lb. PLine CXX; occasionally 30lb braid of some sort

GLoomis E6X 6'8" MH / EF w/ Bass Pro Shop Pro Qualifier 7.1:1 & whatever 10 - 15 lb. fluorocarbon; usually Seaguar Invisx or Vicious Fishing

13 Omen Black 2 6'7" MH / F w/ Revo SX 7.1:1 spooled with PLine CXX mono 10lb mono currently

Fenwick Elite Tech 6'9" MH / F, currently not in use

Lightweight Presentations

Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 7' MH / F w/ Daiwa Exceler 2000 spooled w/ braid + leader

But if I had to pick one rig for multiple uses, I would go with the 13 Omen w/ the Revo SX; line would be the X-factor.  That $99 rod + $159 reel combo can cast a mile, has plenty of power yet is quite sensitive for quick hook sets, can handle much larger lures than the 1oz rating, and will hold 145 yards of 12lb mono.  The only area I couldn't use it would be for lightweight/weightless presentations and I would have to carefully consider using it is for cranking...not to say it couldn't do it, but it definitely isn't ideal.  I've pulled in some beasts with that set up.