EricJ

Largemouth Bass Rod Selection

32 posts in this topic

Wondering on your thoughts regarding rod weight and length. I am often torn between some of the choices. 6'6", 7', M, MH, etc etc

I know some of you have tested this stuff out extensively.  Looking for the ability to set the hook but not so stiff that the fish loses its grip before the hook can be set. 

Longer rod allow better hook set since the swing arc is much larger. I tend to fish longer rod now. Non of my rods are below 7ft now.  What you are looking for is a fast action rod with a flexible tip. Stay away from extra fast action rods as they don't bent much in the tip section.  Longer rod also allow a much more gradual increase in power so the tip will feel softer than it's shorter counter part.  To simply you question, just swipe one of two of scooby setup when you are with him. lol

For large lakes,and res I'm fishing 7'gloomis for bass most of the time fast action med light. For smaller areas 7' fast action med avid. When fishing very large swimmers 9' mh lamiglass.  

To simply you question, just swipe one of two of scooby setup when you are with him. lol

Ha ! I should have thought of that when I fished with him last week !

Depends what baits you are fishing in my opinion. I have a rod that I did not like at all for spinner baits and chatter baits, so it sat for a while. Then once I started using jigs more and more I put it in the rotation to the point where I won't leave home with out it. For my bait casting rods I have a 6'9", two 7' and a 7'2". Each one I use for something different, but if I had to bring just one it would be the 7'2" because I love the action of that rod and it has the back bone to wrestle fish away from structure. 

For light jigging (1/8 to 3/8 oz) when smallmouth or largemouth fishing, your best option is a medium action fast taper rod. the fast taper allows for good hook sets while the medium action will allow for a much higher hookup percentage than a stiffer rod. Personally the best light jigging spinning rod on the market is a 7'1" - medium - fast rod made by GLoomis. When it comes to length it is really personal preference. The shorter the rod, the easier it is to make an accurate cast, but you lose on distance as compared to a longer rod.

I always use an 8 foot rod to cast farther and to have extra leverage and backbone while catching fish. Nothing wrong with that. Just in case you're chucking larger and heavier baits like those giant swimbaits just saying. 

One rod...that doesn't exit in my vocabulary. All depends on what lures you are throwing. Probably 7 foot would be the best all around length with med-heavy fast action.

This is true

Accuracy is a product of experience and comfort of the rod and reel and how well the angler manages that with bait being presented

Short rods allow for easier pitches and skipping.and tight quarters manueverabilty.

inside 10' short rods excel....anything over that is fair game

Saying short is more accurate is not true.  

90% of my rods are over 7'  1 is under 6'6

Many over 7'6

Throw a baitcasting reel into the mix vs spinner and any length spinner is now less accurate.

Additionally....if fishing current.   the position of splash down isn't necessarily as important to where your bait ends up.  Longer rods allow much better depth control and allow you to control the speed of the drift by keeping more or less line off the water.

Many rods over 7' have long rear grips.  Which takes away from some of the advantages of this.

I can hit a coffe can at 100' with a 6'6 or a 10 foot.  WIth the same consistency.   Over 100' longer rods make it easier

Same at 50 or 30 or 20.

Inside 15....shorter sticks are easier since you're still able to use more of your standard motion of the cast.  Getting out side of your standard motion is what takes away from accuracy.

Small water with moving baits....short sticks are fine.  IF bottome bouncing. any size body of water..I will go as long as the obstructions will allow.

So far as accuracy goes on the 8.1 tailwalk has been a struggle. Imo I will get better with practice I hope. When I do hit my target it does feel great. The short sticks that I use currently for small water has always been dead on. I can hit a quarter from 60ft with a 1\32 jig head. I have noticed the longer fishing rod does increase the lure movement with little effort.

I am currently researching///shopping for a  lmb rod. Over the years did not pay attention to rod 

size. Shame on me. Just got out there and fished. Hooray.

Well--fast forward--

I looked at a ten foot rod by Bone Head bright green color, shopping for long rod with flexibility.

Had never heard of Bone Head, so asking have you gents heard of Bone Head

I see the pro bass fishgermen on tv casting what looks like  a very long, hwite very flexi ble rod.

Anyone know what majorithy of them are using?

I been using 6'6" MH, fairly stiff rod, casting is an effort especially for a long cast.

Think will stay with the name brands have heard of.  You think?

Guys?

ps: have gotten fairly accureate with this 6'6" rod.

my plan is to have a rod and matched reel for each type lmb

or smb fishing, with matching line, and not be changoing back

and forth 

okie

Edited by Okie Angler

Accuracy is a product of experience and comfort of the rod and reel and how well the angler manages that with bait being presented

Short rods allow for easier pitches and skipping.and tight quarters manueverabilty.

inside 10' short rods excel....anything over that is fair game

Saying short is more accurate is not true.  

90% of my rods are over 7'  1 is under 6'6

Many over 7'6

Throw a baitcasting reel into the mix vs spinner and any length spinner is now less accurate.

Additionally....if fishing current.   the position of splash down isn't necessarily as important to where your bait ends up.  Longer rods allow much better depth control and allow you to control the speed of the drift by keeping more or less line off the water.

Many rods over 7' have long rear grips.  Which takes away from some of the advantages of this.

I can hit a coffe can at 100' with a 6'6 or a 10 foot.  WIth the same consistency.   Over 100' longer rods make it easier

Same at 50 or 30 or 20.

Inside 15....shorter sticks are easier since you're still able to use more of your standard motion of the cast.  Getting out side of your standard motion is what takes away from accuracy.

Small water with moving baits....short sticks are fine.  IF bottome bouncing. any size body of water..I will go as long as the obstructions will allow.

Now how big is that ocffee can?

okie