Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreggH

***WANTED*** quick sinking running line

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'll be cutting my own heads out of T-14 & 20. Please share with me your favorite fast sinking running line and why. I get it drops fast but feel and strength maters. I will be targeting rock fish here on the left side.

_P1P9177.jpg

Edited by GreggH

I really like rio slick shooter. That is what I use most. I like the feel of connect core running lines but it does not do well around rocks. If you don't have to worry about rocks i would use the connect core. I cut the handling section off and reverse the running line on the reel.

If you're worried about the rocks, use thicker and tougher FC. There's no magic bullet to beat abrasion. Line thickness beats just about all else though.

Cheers,

Graeme

Thin fluorocarbon may sink even quicker than mono....

Yes mono made of fluorocarbon has higher density than mono made of Nylon but both are monofilaments :)

I'd get a big game ... like SA Mastery Bluewater or the full sink type 4 Striper lines and be done with it. If you're dead set on super heavy sinking heads ... then look for a type 4 intermediate running line (if they make them).

Gregg,

As an old timer who has used heads routinely, even the deadly old lead core trolling line (lots of stories there) for 56 years I have found the Rio Slick Shooter 50# to be the best......WHEN.....there is not a lot of wind (to blow it around and cause tangles.  In that case a heavier shooting line in intermediate works fine.  On Cape Cod we regularly use heads to dredge (and occasionally get bottom debris) down to 80'.  Is that deep enough for you?

Most important is castability and non-tangle properties.  Light, limp running lines are slow (sometimes not so) death due to tangles.  Except for a heavy FLOATING running line the sink rate of the running line won't effect the depth your head/fly reaches that much....and can work to your detriment.

For fish that have a subtle and short bite, feel is paramount.  You want the running line to be pointing straight down to the butt of the head......NOT curved deeply  as a full sinking running line tethered at your rod tip on one end and trying to sink on its own throughout down to the head would be.  If the head is sinking faster than the running line then the head stretches the running line straighter to your rod tip.  AND, if you use a compensated head then you have the potential nirvana of a maximally straight line to the fly.  You will feel the stop of the fly much sooner.  Curves, like slack, is the enemy. 

All those steelhead pics I've been sending you?  All caught with Rio SS 50#.  I keep 4 rods in the boat rigged with different sink rate heads.  The bite is subtle, the stationary fish just momentarily mouth the fly out of curiosity.  VERY slow retrieve.  Feel (=straightness) is critical.

BTW, got my biggest in 15 years yesterday, 36 1/2", 17#.  Oh that's right, I sent you the pic.

If you need more thoughts on running line call me.

How deep are you wanting to fish rockfish?

Another option guess are using up here is Airflo T-7 or Rio T-8 as running line. They are using it to target deep water lings and even halibut.

Probably not the greatest to cast but based on their reports the depths they are achieving is pretty impressive.

SF