BrokeOff

Method 890-4 Line

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

The line labeled 8 wt cast well on the rod labeled 8 wt. Thats labelled correctly by currently produced rods. If you are using 20 yr old rods current lines might no work. Line technology has changed. Not all lines are long heads with gentle tapers. You rightly point out that things have changed. I would prefer to see all rods labeled with grain windows like many two handers. this would make things easier for everyone. I try to think of all of my rods in terms of grain wt and not line weight.

So when a lodge says, "we suggest an 8 wt for bonefish and a 10wt for tarpon" what do they mean?  Current rod and line wts?

MHD, MA?  I'm in Swampscott.

The line labeled 8 wt cast well on the rod labeled 8 wt. Thats labelled correctly by currently produced rods. If you are using 20 yr old rods current lines might no work. Line technology has changed. Not all lines are long heads with gentle tapers. You rightly point out that things have changed. I would prefer to see all rods labeled with grain windows like many two handers. this would make things easier for everyone. I try to think of all of my rods in terms of grain wt and not line weight.

What you don't realize is that casting any line on any rod is up to the caster.  I like RIO OBS lines on my not 20 year old NRX, Sage Method, Orvis Helios2 rods.  I have a good friend who doesn't like the lines as he likes to carry more line in the air.  It's all in the hands of the caster.  I like short heavy shooting heads.  BTW, I am familiar with line and rod technology.  I was essentially a promoter for a major rod and line manufacturer for years and currently have access to all the new Orvis products and am fortunate enough to try most of them out.

What you don't realize is that casting any line on any rod is up to the caster.  I like RIO OBS lines on my not 20 year old NRX, Sage Method, Orvis Helios2 rods.  I have a good friend who doesn't like the lines as he likes to carry more line in the air.  It's all in the hands of the caster.  I like short heavy shooting heads.  BTW, I am familiar with line and rod technology.  I was essentially a promoter for a major rod and line manufacturer for years and currently have access to all the new Orvis products and am fortunate enough to try most of them out.

Spig, You sound really important. You're right its all about personal preference. You cast whatever line on your rods that you want. If it works for you great! This is supposed to be fun and easy. I recommend that anyone with questions about lines and rods go to their closest fly shop and try out different lines. 

No they don't! I have a Cortland Tropic Plus WF9F which has only 26,3ft/239gr head and Rio OB WF9I which head is 36,0ft/388gr so OB "9wt" head is 62% heavier. Then Cortland 444 Blue WF8I 32,2ft/217gr head and OBS WF8S1 31,1ft/346gr head which is 59% heavier. Cortland lines follow AFFTA line standard very well but Rio build only few standard weight lines.

There is nothing wrong in fly line standards other than almost no-one use them when they build rods and fly lines.

Esa

Spig, You sound really important. You're right its all about personal preference. You cast whatever line on your rods that you want. If it works for you great! This is supposed to be fun and easy. I recommend that anyone with questions about lines and rods go to their closest fly shop and try out different lines. 

Really wasn't any reason for the sarcasm in your post.  I essentially said what you said.  Everyone has different casting styles and should use what is best for them.

I did the same thing Crunch did and that was to point out the differences in line weights compared to AFFTA standards.

Sorry if I offended you.  I was only trying to point out that I am not some young, fly by night flyrodder with two years of flyfishing under his belt spouting off at the mouth.  My last post on this subject.

I'm going to revive this thread for a minute.  I have purchased a line for this rod and continued to do circles looking for another line.  I think I have had several realizations.  First, the Grand Slam was designed with Bruce Chard and the taper is identical to the Airflo Punch, also designed by Bruce.  Then does it could down to which construction is better?

The second realization is that while I have been all worked up about lines that have been mislabeled 8/9/10 wt etc., it seems in a few instances the total head weight isn't that far off, it's just compact.  Like my lines that are two weights up and 30 ft could actually be more like one line wt up (if they were 37 - 47 ft long) but since the entire head is all in 30 ft, then it does get bump up two line weights.  Not sure if that makes any sense.  

Don't get your knickers in a twist over this. What you describe in your last paragraph is essentially a RIO OB which as a 30 foot head and is roughly two lines up on std AAFTM.

If you have a wf fly line with a 42 foot long head and it was std AAFTM and you put more than 30 feet of head into the air you will get close to another line size up. 

You have to know the grain weights of the heads which takes out one variable. I would not worry too much about fly line construction if using one of the major brands. 

Fly lines if used often enough don't last forever. It should not be a major problem finding a fly line for your rod.

As to fly shops well some are good at this and others not so good. No surprises there then.

I have not fished that rod but most Sage rods I have found will cast the designated line and also at least one up with no problem. Just remember that many fly lines do not conform to AAFTM stadnards.

Mike

I'm going to revive this thread for a minute.  I have purchased a line for this rod and continued to do circles looking for another line.  I think I have had several realizations.  First, the Grand Slam was designed with Bruce Chard and the taper is identical to the Airflo Punch, also designed by Bruce.  Then does it could down to which construction is better?

The second realization is that while I have been all worked up about lines that have been mislabeled 8/9/10 wt etc., it seems in a few instances the total head weight isn't that far off, it's just compact.  Like my lines that are two weights up and 30 ft could actually be more like one line wt up (if they were 37 - 47 ft long) but since the entire head is all in 30 ft, then it does get bump up two line weights.  Not sure if that makes any sense.  

On thing about that SA Grand Slam line -- it's the nosiest line I ever used - drives me nuts.