BrokeOff

Method 890-4 Line

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Just picked this up on a fantastic impulse buy. You know, the kind of deal on a rod that will never come around again...blah blah blah. It seems that is how I've aquired every one of my rods.

Who has one and what lines have you paired with it. I understand this rod can be a bit temperamental so I want to pair it correctly with the right line.

Any advice?

What happened to not being allowed? lol.I have a Rio cold water/winter redfish line for up north and a Rio tropic redfish line for the islands and south florida. I've used the rio permit floater and SA but i prefer the Rio redfish line. As far as intermediate or sink lines I rarely use them but it handles them awesome and allows you to pick up a ton of line. I gotta think any airflo SW floater or wulff triangle taper would load the rod great too. With an 8wt rio bonefish line it just doesn't load fast enough for my liking. It's my favorite flats rod. Did you get the elite or regular method? 

That's about the only Sage rod I like these days. The Methods seem to like to be overlined if the taper is a standard WF, or you can go with one of the overweighted aggressive head lines that are increasingly popular. 

Do you want a recommendation of a floater? Intermediate? Sink Tip? Full sink? Do you fish only Northeast coldwater or do you venture to FL/Caribbean? If you fish the tropics, what time of the year and how much of your fishing is it? 

For a floater, I'd go with an 8 weight SA Grand Slam/Orvis Ignitor fly line (stiff core, tropical/warm water) or an SA Anadro/Orvis Nymph line (dacron core, coldwater)--these both have a lot of punch (overweighted 1.5-1.75 line sizes) and load fast, but are not as restricting as the Outbound series of lines. If you are looking for an intermediate, look into the new Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP in an 8weight (very overweighted). 

TH, this purchase may have ruffles some feathers but I didn't get too much flack. At 450 never used with the warranty card it seemed like a good idea.

I really bought this as a NE flats rod. I'd like to use it on smaller stripers from shore as well. I might try the Rio Striper 9 wt line that I already have. The see if I should really drop down to the 8wt. Then I'm just left with looking for the floater.

On my fast action rods, Sage, Loomis, Orvis H2 I just go with RIO Outbound or Outbound Short lines.  Yes, they are above the "standards" for lines of their weight class but they load a rod quickly and cast very well for me.

On my fast action rods, Sage, Loomis, Orvis H2 I just go with RIO Outbound or Outbound Short lines.  Yes, they are above the "standards" for lines of their weight class but they load a rod quickly and cast very well for me.

So you are matching 8wt/8wt and 9wt/9wt but in reality they are more like 8.5wt/8.5wt and 9.5wt/9.5wt.  Actually, they seem heavier than just a half a line wt.  Is that a good way to look at it?

For example, the Intouch Striper WF8F has a 30 ft head at 280 gr.  Are the AFFTA charts the ones I should be looking at or have these been thrown out the window?

The OB and OBS lines are at least 1 weight heavier than is marked.  Check the website.  They post the actual weights of the lines and you can compare them to the standard weights.

I do not agree that these rods need to be over lined. I fish a rio outbound intermediate for jetty fishing. I do a outbound short intermediate in some boat fishing. For tropical floating I like and SA Grand slam. It allows me to pick and reshoot. All these lines are heavier than normal but are labeled with the correct line size.

I guess it gets confusing when a manufacturer makes an 8wt that's really an 9wt. Then most people advise to over line by one line wt. Then the line manufacturer is heavy by about 2 lines was over the AFFTA wt.

Then...do I use a reel that's for wts 7-8-9 or wts 9-10-11? I think 7-8-9.

I do not agree that these rods need to be over lined. I fish a rio outbound intermediate for jetty fishing. I do a outbound short intermediate in some boat fishing. For tropical floating I like and SA Grand slam. It allows me to pick and reshoot. All these lines are heavier than normal but are labeled with the correct line size.

If a line is "heavier than normal" it is not really labeled properly.  They are not truly labeled with the correct "line see" which is nothing but the weight of the first 30' of the line.  For instance, AFFTA standards for a 10 weight line is 290 grains, and thats on the high side.  A RIO "10 Wt" OBS line weighs 425 grains.  Tell me that's labeled correctly.

I guess it gets confusing when a manufacturer makes an 8wt that's really an 9wt. Then most people advise to over line by one line wt. Then the line manufacturer is heavy by about 2 lines was over the AFFTA wt.

Then...do I use a reel that's for wts 7-8-9 or wts 9-10-11? I think 7-8-9.

Look at it this way some rods do well with a standard line that is close to affta rated most of these rods are slower than the method but very fast action rods usually do better with a heavier line. I personally don't upline I just go to a redfish line for my floaters. For intermediate or sink there is no need to upline they are heavier and easier to load than a standard floating line in the same weight. 

In other words you don't have to over line the rod simply because some of the line manufactures are doing it for you. 

Edited by sidelock

If a line is "heavier than normal" it is not really labeled properly.  They are not truly labeled with the correct "line see" which is nothing but the weight of the first 30' of the line.  For instance, AFFTA standards for a 10 weight line is 290 grains, and thats on the high side.  A RIO "10 Wt" OBS line weighs 425 grains.  Tell me that's labeled correctly.

The line labeled 8 wt cast well on the rod labeled 8 wt. Thats labelled correctly by currently produced rods. If you are using 20 yr old rods current lines might no work. Line technology has changed. Not all lines are long heads with gentle tapers. You rightly point out that things have changed. I would prefer to see all rods labeled with grain windows like many two handers. this would make things easier for everyone. I try to think of all of my rods in terms of grain wt and not line weight.